1976 distributor breaker point plate (1 Viewer)

Anyone have one of these in good condition? The breaker plate has small ball bearings for rotation with the vacuum advance/retard unit. Mine has been cleaned in an ultra sonic tank and rotates, but has some "ratchety" rotation.
Is this normal?
Regards;
Desert FJ40 in need of a part.
FJ40 distributor base plate (1).jpg

To be honest, I didn't remember that the dizzy had bearings in it. I remembered that early Hondas had them. In any event, to answer your question, it should not be "ratchety". It should move smoothly without obstruction.

ToyotaMatt

Factory Focus-Point Mind-Set Approach
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Anyone have one of these in good condition? The breaker plate has small ball bearings for rotation with the vacuum advance/retard unit. Mine has been cleaned in an ultra sonic tank and rotates, but has some "ratchety" rotation.
Is this normal?
Regards;
Desert FJ40 in need of a part.View attachment 2286470

Contact @4Cruisers

John , is My NipponDenso parts and Service Go to guy here on the Forum

and Speaks NipponDenso as his second language Every day ! :D

Talked with John, he had some for other 6 cylinder Toyotas, but not the FJ40. I dismantled my unit. Removed the bearings. Did some cleaning. There was a piece of small copper wire that came off of the internal distributor grounding strap and was in with the ball bearings, also some small bits of grit. The bearing races had a few dings in them (see red arrows) so I used some 1500 emery paper and green Scotch Brite. The rough edges of the dings were smoothed leading to a smoother rotation of the part when it was re-assembled.

fj40 breaker plate 2.jpg

fj40 breaker plate 4.jpg

fj40 breaker plate 4 (1).jpg

fj40 breaker plate ball bearings.jpg

fj40 breaker plate 3 (1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom