Builds 1976 '40 Resto/Buildup (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well as usual reality continues to negatively impact my project. Along with the usual personal BS (work, etc) I also had to ski the hell out of one of the best powder seasons ever! :grinpimp: :bounce: :flipoff2:

Ok so the resorts are closed and I had to drive my DD to CM06 so its on now, time to get 'er done! I picked up a tranny an t-case from an '85 60 series and ordered the appropriate Toybox. Cut the front axle and stripped and cleaned both axle housings. Now I need to get some weight back on it so I can set the pinion angles. Next up is painting the engine and dropping it in. :flamingo: :beer:

Below is a shot of the new tranny and t-case and one of where it stands now. But first a gratuitous shot of the old girl, my best friend and loyal companion who passed away this winter at 15 years of age and is sorely missed (one of my biggest distractions). The shop seems empty without her :frown:
PICT0261small.JPG
PICT0723small.JPG
PICT0734small.JPG

Last edited:
No but soon, I keep finding more spots to clean on the block and haven't painted it yet, but its taped off and ready. I hope to get a coat of paint on today.

Where did you buy the 30/40 garnet for blasting? What type of blasting equipment did you use?

Lt1FJ40 said:
Where did you buy the 30/40 garnet for blasting? What type of blasting equipment did you use?

Any professional media company will have it, as well as aluminum oxide, coal slag, walnuts, etc. One nice thing is it's reusable, so since I had to clean it up anyway when I was done I just swept it up and put it back in the blaster.

I use a pressurized tank, and even with a really good 2-stage shop compressor it works the compressor hard. :beer:

looking nice, coming along. i wish i was as ambisious as you.

Was that white trash parts trailer sitting down at Slee last week? I think I've seen it before. The build up is looking good.

2badfjs said:
are you done yet? :D

what are you stealing off the 60?

No I keep getting distracted bending your sh_t :flipoff2: :D :cheers:

Tranny, t-case, crossmember, PS pump, dizzy, etc.

Sno - no clue, its Uncle Bens and I am sure he is pimpin it far and wide :grinpimp:

Oil pan gasket question: The OEM gasket has a couple of little tabs on it and some blue markings (indicated by green lines below). Do these marks indicate front or rear of the seal or anything? :confused: :cheers: :beer:
PICT0773small.JPG

I finally made some progress last weekend, work continues to ruin my life :doh: the oil pan is painted and on...
PICT0774small.JPG
PICT0775small.JPG
PICT0778small.JPG

... and the engine is back in. Next I am going to clean up the H42 and split case while I wait on the Toybox to arrive, then install them as well as the flywheel and clutch. Hoepfully that will be enough weight to settle the springs and set the pinion angles. If not I may have to set the tub back on too. :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :flamingo:
PICT0785small.JPG
PICT0788small.JPG
PICT0800small.JPG

Looks GREAT Ian, good to see progress... on your OWN stuff :D (not that I am complaining)

You going to bling your valve cover?

Rezarf <><

IanB said:
work continues to ruin my life :doh: ...

Ain't it the truth. That is the most to the point, real world comment I have heard in awhile.

BTW, the project looks great. What's the plan for the body. Gonna piss of the neighbors again.

J.R.

Rezarf - Yes I am going to bling the valve cover, and probably the oil side cover and timing gear cover too. I think am going to bare metal and then clear coating them. :grinpimp:

JR - I made peace with the neighbors so yes, I am going to sandblast the body in the driveway and piss them off again :hillbilly:

Just talked to Steve at Marlin... the Toybox will be shipping tommorow or Thursday. Time to get this sh_t going.

I have wood...

The first pic is the ToyBox as it came. It was missing a couple of pieces but one call to Marlin and they overnighted the missing pieces out, great customer service :cheers:

The second pic is the complete 4.7 ToyBox package.
PICT0812small.JPG
PICT0936small.JPG

Oooh... Ahhhhh... NICE looking gear man!

Looking forward to seeing it bolted up.

Rezarf <><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom