1976 - 1980 FJ40 Brake Booster Replacement List (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vae Victus

Posting more than I know
Threads
I have been looking for a booster for my '76 FJ40. What I've learned is that suddenly, in 2013, it is no longer possible to find readily available units that are rebuilt by the community at large, much less by the big remanufacturers. I have attempted therefore to revive this topic again, and to document, in one tidy place, what I've found out in the past 2 weeks looking for a '76 FJ40 Power Booster.

- '76, '77, '78, '79 and '80 boosters were the same on the FJ40. (not fact, but assumption from what I've read)

- OEM Boosters are no longer available. If you find a NOS (New, Old Stock), it would be worth a lot.

- SloCruisers doesn't have any more. He was given a batch of them a while back, and was able to attain the rebuild kits to fix them, sold them for a good profit.

- Booster Dewey (repair place in Oregon http://www.boosterdeweyexchange.com/) cannot get diaphrams anymore either. He is done with the 76-80 rebuilds unless someone starts making the diaphrams again. He can do '71-'75. Might be an alternative if the bolt pattern is the same, though they are not dual diaphram(? fact check me here)

- There are a few remaining rebuilds out there, but they are around $400 and up at SOR and other sites. If you want original OEM, then you will have to pay.

- Bolt spacing on the FJ40 OEM Booster for '76-'80 is 4" x 2 3/4" on center for the pedal-side bolts, and 3" x 1 3/4" for the Master Cylinder side bolts. The depth is approximately 7 1/4". Circumference is approximately 27 1/4" inches. Rod length to the center of the pin hole is between 13 1/4" and 12 3/4" depending on where you set the nut on the threaded rod.

- I have been able to find very little information showing the actual dimensions of the potential replacement boosters, including diameter, number of diaphrams (single or double), depth of the main cylinder, length of the rod, and bolt spacing. Aisin doesn't seem to publish their technical drawings and specs of their boosters anywhere. If you can find it, post it here, and I'll add it to this first post.

What *is* available is the following list of vehicles that I believe to be semi-bolt and play (may require modifying/ shortening the length of the rod on the Master Cylinder side, or modifying the length of the rod on the brake pedal side (by shortening the rod, or lengthening the threaded bracket that the brake pedal is pinned to). This list of vehicles appear to use the same bolt pattern as the OEM booster. Depth, rod length, diameter all seem to be different.

(the following info referenced 4/25/13 from the following website: http://www.theautopartsshop.com/ )

Vehicle Make/Model, Year, Booster Model#, Availability (New, Rebuilt, Used, UnKnown), Notes
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Toy FJ40, '76-80, ?, U
Toy FJ60, '81-87, (example model of many: #160.88126), R
Toy FJ62, '88-'92, #53-2570, R, All years not verified.
Toy Pickup, '81-95, (example model of many: #53-2575, 53-2080, 53-2071), R, All years not verified.
Toy T100, '93-'98?,(example) #53-2791, R, All years not verified.
Toy 4Runner, '84-'95, (example) #53-2170, R, All years not verified.
Toy Celica, '76-'85, (example) #160.88653, R, All years not verified.
Lexus (Incomplete at this time - I'll do more research later....)

I hope this helps as a summary and repository for future needs. It is getting hard to find vehicles at the junk yards / pullApart places that are this old, so ordering remans is becoming the only way to find them.

Please write a post if you have further info on models, or see mistakes in my madness.

Last edited:
Nice tech.

In the U.S., an '88-'90 FJ60 would be an FJ62 though, and they stopped in 1990.

I bought mine from SloCruisers a year or so ago, surprised to read he doesn't have them anymore. From my dealings with him, he was selling them with a core charge, so wonder why he wouldn't have them, considering he should get one every time he sells one.

I bought mine from SloCruisers a year or so ago, surprised to read he doesn't have them anymore. From my dealings with him, he was selling them with a core charge, so wonder why he wouldn't have them, considering he should get one every time he sells one.

I contacted him - he just can't get the rebuild kits anymore. Neither can Booster Dewey, who is actually in the business to do boosters. (SloCruisers just "dabbles" as he puts it).

What GM applications do you use with this adapter. the pic looks like a small diameter booster. Is it off of a GM car? I didn't see a list on the website unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

http://man-a-fre.com/pa/gmboostermasterconversionkit.htm

The GM booster looks like a good option for non stock rigs... although for 71 and newer rigs, It could likely be mounted to the firewall without a spacer. Although, some drilling may be required.

For reference, +/- 20 years back, I replaced my 74 booster with a 76ish one from the wreckers. Visually, it was identical to the original one, which also matched the one I pulled from a 77 Fj45 parts truck.
So, Im not sure what the difference is between a 71-75 and 76-80.

The garbage 74 booster I pulled apart, only had a single diaphragm.

What GM applications do you use with this adapter. the pic looks like a small diameter booster. Is it off of a GM car? I didn't see a list on the website unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

What is the bolt pattern on the pre-70 brake Master Cylinder attachment point to the firewall?

The two adapters at man-a-fre are square-to-rectangle and square-to-triangle pattern.

What is bolt pattern on GM boosters?

Both the adaptors they sell have a rectangular side, so it appears that's the GM side.

Mark's Off road sells adaptors to convert from the three bolt single circuit to the newer 4 bolt dual circuit masters. I've not seen one in person though.

Both the adaptors they sell have a rectangular side, so it appears that's the GM side.

Mark's Off road sells adaptors to convert from the three bolt single circuit to the newer 4 bolt dual circuit masters. I've not seen one in person though.

So the triangular is the '71 and older, FJ40, non-boosted master cylinder bolt pattern?

I'm not sure what year was the last, but my 1968 has the older 3-bolt triangular pattern, I have an adapter from JT Outfitters to adapt to the newer dual circuit square pattern

It appears, from what I'm understanding here, that the adapter will work with any booster that has a square bolt pattern, probably a 4" spacing. Man-a-fre gives no dimensions unfortunately.

I'm sure that there will be issues with rod length and pedal positioning with an adapter like this.

Man-a fre adapter is a 3 3/8 square bolt pattern that fit 73 to 94 Gm 9" booster with a treaded rod. It out of passenger cars, hard to find the threaded rod as it also comes in a fixed rod style. You can adapt either with a bit of work.

My '71 (12/70) had a 4 bolt booster. I replaced it with a GM 9" dual diaphram booster and GM master. I made my own firewall adapter and made a fitting to connect the push rod to the pedal arm. Had to reflare the lines using US fittings.

FYI - I ended up purchasing a new unit from Advanced Auto. $129, lifetime replacement. Couldn't easily locate a suitable used one at the Junkers.

image-4158461138.jpg

image-4031806607.jpg

image-184341650.jpg

image-4072619090.jpg
Photos of unit and receipt showing model number.

This is one confirmed replacement.
image-4158461138.jpg
image-4031806607.jpg
image-184341650.jpg
image-4072619090.jpg

Last edited:
Vae Victus

Do you no the application?

Looks like a Forrunner... Or the JDM diesel 81 booster I picked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom