1975 fj55 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

timmbuck2

SILVER Star
Threads
OK, my pig obsession is out of control. Saw this beauty on Craigslist, it was a few blocks from my house, so I grabbed it. :) She parked it 2 years ago after the battery stopped charging. She put in a new alternator but it still would not charge. I will be going through the wiring and also trying a new alternator. She had used it as a daily driver for several years, here and in Steamboat Springs. The PO in Steamboat had done all the body work and the v8 swap. I love the PTO! The interior is great, the seats were recently recovered. And after I had already agreed to buy it, she mentioned the 53 gallon fuel tank. :grinpimp: I think this will be a fun DD, maybe a slight build for camping with the boys. Now I definitely have WAY too many pigs.........
but the 76 rusty stocker I have may be donating disc brakes to this pig...and the 2f and 4 speed to my 40...

:steer::pig::pig:
IMG_5684.jpg
IMG_5688.jpg
IMG_5690.jpg

YES. I agree. So does my neighbors.

YES. I agree. So does my neighbors.

Thankfully, I own and my only immediate neighbor rents...not much for him to say :lol:

What are your intentions now with all of these...you are at 4 or is it 5?

This one on this thread looks really good.

5, but 2 or 3 may be sold...

69 - I bought from FrontRange 4x4
72 - parts truck only, no motor, still in western colorado
74 - no motor, sold, going back to Salt Lake in a few weeks
75 - the red one in this thread.
76 - rusty stocker, may be sold or will be parted out for the 2f, tranny, tcase, disc brakes

So hopefully only will end up with one or two.

the rust is not bad at all...had been fixed up about 15 years ago, so some rust is coming back. a paint job is in the near future to go back to stock red/.white...either rattle can or cheapo Maaco...

Been driving it all week, and love it! Have a little heater issue I posted about on the 40 forum...heat is great for 10 seconds, then turns cold. Turn the fan off, wait a bit, then turn the fan on and have great heat for 10 more seconds then turns cold.

Decided to fill the 53 gallon tank. :) $80 for 38 gallons or so! other than the brakes not being great on the first pump, it is a great runner and driver. the "CRG" light is always on so I know the battery is not charging, but it is new and so far has been no problem. I am going to try a new alternator...I have been trying to trickle charge the batter she had in there and it keeps coming up bad...could a bad battery fry the alternator?

So looking through allll the receipts and stuff the PO gave me, it looks like this is at least the 4th engine this piggie has had....the original 2f, a new 2f with 15k miles was installed in 1980 when the pig had 4k miles, a 350 and the 53 gallon tank as installed in 86 at 82k miles, and in 1991 a rebuilt 350 SBC was installed.

It did have a aftermarket A/C installed at one point, a Clardy Jet Star.

Now about that flame orange fading paint job.....

Timm,

Congrats....looks like a rolling ball of fire....what's the deal with the shifter boot that is closer to the seat? Is it just lying there or is it some type of change in shifter location?

Timm,

Congrats....looks like a rolling ball of fire....what's the deal with the shifter boot that is closer to the seat? Is it just lying there or is it some type of change in shifter location?
are you looking at the pto setup, or the empty boot?

Hi Ige,

I was looking at the empty boot....I just assumed it was something lying there and then thought "you never know with mods on these rigs" and had to ask:)

not really sure what the extra boot is for.....

Been driving it all week, and love it! Have a little heater issue I posted about on the 40 forum...heat is great for 10 seconds, then turns cold. Turn the fan off, wait a bit, then turn the fan on and have great heat for 10 more seconds then turns cold.

Decided to fill the 53 gallon tank. :) $80 for 38 gallons or so! other than the brakes not being great on the first pump, it is a great runner and driver. the "CRG" light is always on so I know the battery is not charging, but it is new and so far has been no problem. I am going to try a new alternator...I have been trying to trickle charge the batter she had in there and it keeps coming up bad...could a bad battery fry the alternator?

So looking through allll the receipts and stuff the PO gave me, it looks like this is at least the 4th engine this piggie has had....the original 2f, a new 2f with 15k miles was installed in 1980 when the pig had 4k miles, a 350 and the 53 gallon tank as installed in 86 at 82k miles, and in 1991 a rebuilt 350 SBC was installed.

It did have a aftermarket A/C installed at one point, a Clardy Jet Star.

Now about that flame orange fading paint job.....

4th engine? That is a lot of engines!!!

I like it - very cool Pig!

not really sure what the extra boot is for.....

Post a picture of the whole boot including the base. My guess by where it's located this may have had a Fairey Overdrive in it at one time. If it is I would be interested in buying if it''s in okay shape. The boot that is. Looking again it seems to look like what the Fairey boot looked like.

Last edited:
the boot is yours if you want it...will take a pic this weekend

the boot is yours if you want it...will take a pic this weekend

I don't need a picture if it isn't a Fairey boot I would be surprised. I will gladly pay you to ship it. Paypal, check? PM me a amount and I will PM you my address and get you paid.

This probably has the motor mount that bolts to the back of the transfer case so I'm sure they removed the four studs that mounted the overdrive since their are not designed to hold that much weight. But if by chance they are there I would get you new bolts for them too.

By the way this is a nece looking pig. I really need to stay out of this section or I know I going to end up buying one myself. I almost bought one back in the early nineties at a junk yard for $600. Rust free just had a bad motor. When I wen to pick it up I found out some yard guy had decided to move it by running the forks from a forklift thru the windshield and lifting by the top:frown:

Thanks, John

Hmm...and I thought I read that you could not have OD and a PTO at the same time...dang....

took the alternator off last night and will go get a replacement today...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom