1975 FJ40 - Will a set of barn doors from a 1970 fit my 1975? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1975 has no hardtop and I have no tailgate or barn doors whatsoever. I have been looking for a while and have found a set of barn doors from a 1970. Does anyone know if they will fit my '75? I have new rear quarter panels so I will need to drill holes for the hinges, but other than that, will they fit?

Please let me know your thoughts.......thx, John

Without ever having done it, my understanding is that they will fit. There is a feature on the floor of the tub that catches the doors, which is missing from your '75. One might experience spare tire carrier / license plate issues. Personally, I'd rather the spare be behind the driver, especially if it is a '75 model year.

Placing the spare on the driver side allows for a better view thru the rear view mirror, and, when the driver is looking back. The spare is behind the driver on an original '75 for left-hand-drive USA 40s. So it sounds like the license plate needs to move to the passenger side on the '71 swing-outs, or the spare needs to move to the passenger side, and the tag light wiring moved to the driver.

Also, I forgot to mention that on my '75 I open the passenger side door and I have access for cargo and passengers. The latch on the swing-outs is on the driver, and it needs to get out of the way to open the passenger side, IIAC, so for every time access you will need to open the spare tire carrier and the driver swing-out, or replace the latch set-up with a mirrored image one like the latch that holds the '75 and '76 spare tire carrier, or factory soft top tailgate.

I considered the option of a rear steel single-wall stamped 'tailgate' panel as a start for a pair of barn doors for my '75. That way I can avoid the inevitable rust that all these doors have, not hack up a Toyota original part, and place the later type two-lamp style license plate frame and lamp on it. It would look homemade from the inside, but probably quite convincing from the outside, aside from a few details. Plus, if I fabricate it, I can burn in some provision for a door-stay (probably just a removable steel rod), because, on not-level surfaces, or windy days, I can never seem to deal with the one door wanting to close and moving cargo at the same time.

The ambulance doors fit flush with the back of the tub. Barn door fit against the outside of tub. The width of both is same. The ambulance doors the tub is notch to make them fit flush. Will have to account for this with barn doors.

Placing the spare on the driver side allows for a better view thru the rear view mirror, and, when the driver is looking back. The spare is behind the driver on an original '75 for left-hand-drive USA 40s. So it sounds like the license plate needs to move to the passenger side on the '71 swing-outs, or the spare needs to move to the passenger side, and the tag light wiring moved to the driver.
Or an option would be to buy barn doors from Australia or another RHD countries. They are inverted compared to LHD ones.

When you do get the barn doors showbus pics :) I have always liked the barn doors. Pretty sure my dad still has a set and I wanna restore them and get them on our 1980 fj40. But that's just a pipe dream

I have barn doors on my 1980 FJ40 and they fit well. I put them on before the tire rack so I got a pair from a right hand drive truck. I drilled holes and used nutserts to hold them on and drilled another hole in the floor for the latch. I like the doors much better than the fixed panel that I used to have. Here is the only pic I could find of the doors:

DSCF1980.JPG

Or an option would be to buy barn doors from Australia or another RHD countries. They are inverted compared to LHD ones.

When a friend in Australia wanted to know if I could use anything off this before it was scrapped I said I would take the barn doors. Can use the tops of our rusted LHD door to repair the rust on the bottom. Thought it would be an interesting project.
P1050858 (1).JPG

Only other picture I have. .
P1050859 (1).JPG

Rust looks manageable. While I doubt I would ever use it having multiple 40s one being a FST. Just thought of a way of adding a frame to the back using the hinge fixed nuts on the sides and fixed nuts for the catch along bottom. Then mount the door to that bracket. It wouldn't require any new holes and being from a RHD would open with the spare still latched.

And, for the record, Toyota added the footman loops, but barn doors were never offered with a FST?

Except for the Australian RHD barn doors, which I assume is a '75 or '76 model?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom