1975 FJ40 - Turn Signals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this subject has been talked about millions of times :deadhorse: and I've been reading, researching, and testing all the theories I've found on here o_O so forgive the redundancy here....but I have been fighting this aggravating s*** for over 6 months now and I'm almost ready to set this bitch on fire and roll it down a hill!!!

WHAT I'VE DONE:
- the OEM tail lights were trashed so I had to replace them.
- I used some LED tail/brake lights from Etrailer to replace them
- Replaced the switch on the column with a new one from Cruiserparts.net thinking that was the problem
- Then I realized the LED lights would mess up the original flasher so I bought installed the one from CCOT
- I've checked and replaced all the fuses

THE PROBLEM:
- Turn signals WILL NOT WORK
- Front Hazard flashers will flash.....kinda fast
- Headlights work....dimmer switch on new turn signal switch works too
- Brake lights work
- Parking lights work

THE OTHER PART OF THIS CLUSTERF*CK:
- The P.O.......bastard :mad::bang:.....cut in wiring, bypassed all kinds of s***, and was obviously completely opposed to using a butt connector!!!
- I don't know if this has anything to do with this but the Wipers DO NOT WORK either. I've checked the switch, plugs, and everything seems to be OK

Here's some pics of what I have going on here

Turn Signal.jpg

Turn Signal 3.jpg

Turn Signal 2.jpg

Turn Signal 4.jpg

There are several schematics of the turn signal wiring on this forum. Search for them. Unfortunately, you're going to have 'grok' the turn signal. The hazard switch is involved. I don't know if in your year the brakes are involved or not. The fact that the wipers aren't working doesn't sound related, unless you've blown a fusible link. We need more data. Find the schematic and see if you've got +12 to the turn signal harness.

So you have original incandescent bulbs in the front signals and LED in the back? If so it might be an unbalanced resistance issue. What flasher did you buy from CCOT? If the brake lights are working I think you can rule out a bad ground for the rears, but have you shined up (or temporarily jumpered) the grounds to the front lights to rule that out?

You've probably read through too many posts already, but to add frustration, I'd marked up some diagrams for a '76 that should have the same hazard as yours - everything turn signal related passes through it and it's notorious for frustrating people to the point they want to " set this bitch on fire and roll it down a hill!!!":rofl:

Thanks! I will check it out....appreciate the info!

Isolate the issue first.
Start at the firewall connectors for the rear chassis harness. Find the one that has a Green/Yellow and a Green/Black wire in it and unplug it. Use a jumper wire attached to the +12V battery terminal and touch the termianl the Green/Yellow wire is attached to. The RIGHT rear turn signal should light. If it does not you have isolated the issue to the rear chassis harness or the LED lights. Repeat but touch the Green/Black wire and the LEFT rear turn signal should light. If both lights DO work then the issue is somewhere else. DO that and report back for round two troubleshooting.

I am in and out traveling this week so bear with me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom