1975 FJ40 Maintenance Interval Detector....What did this look like? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ackcruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
Out of curiosity, I am posting this question to the community. What the heck was the Maintenance Interval Detector on a 1975 FJ40? I would very much appreciate any pictures of this device/computer. According to the wiring schematic, there was a warning light associated with it. Where was the light displayed?

Here is a picture of the harness connectors on the passenger side cowl.
46BE2A48-E1B0-4747-9B91-721354F9B66A.jpeg

Last edited:
its for the egr valve.
the speedo cable is a 2 piece affair....from the transfer to the bottom of the device located high on the firewall above the harness on the passenger side...out the side, across the firewall and through behind the instrument cluster.
inside the MIC is another odometer with a pawl that actuated a switch every 50k miles, the switch would illuminate the light on the dash to rightside of the instrument cluster.
the procedure to service the light was to open the mic and move the switch to the opposite side, 50k miles later the pawl would caught it again.

i have not yet replaced the one piece speedo cable i currently have running up the drivers side....but the plan is to do so merely for the appearance of originality....i dont have a 75 harness as mine was too far cut up for a v8 conversion decades ago....the 77 harness im using doesnt have the sub harness for the MIC.

2F2019.jpg

thumbprint.jpg

Last edited:
its for the egr valve.
the speedo cable is a 2 piece affair....from the transfer to the bottom of the device located high on the firewall above the harness on the passenger side...out the side, across the firewall and through behind the instrument cluster.
inside the MIC is another odometer with a pawl that actuated a switch every 50k miles, the switch would illuminate the light on the dash to rightside of the instrument cluster.
the procedure to service the light was to open the mic and move the switch to the opposite side, 50k miles later the pawl would caught it again.

i have not yet replaced the one piece speedo cable i currently have running up the drivers side....but the plan is to do so merely for the appearance of originality....i dont have a 75 harness as mine was too far cut up for a v8 conversion decades ago....the 77 harness im using doesnt have the sub harness for the MIC.

View attachment 2258125

View attachment 2258129
Thanks for the detailed answer. Fascinating and much appreciated. What’s different on my 1975 harness, is where you show the EGR light is the location for my brake pressure sensor/hand brake light. There must have been another indicator lens/bulb socket mounted on the dash EGR. The Maintenance Interval Detector appears to have been short lived for Toyota as the 1976 schematic does not show the detector or light.

The EGR light add-on was mounted under the dash, below the gauge cluster in 1975, see post #9.

'76 also had brake and fasten belt indicators, post #3

Case closed. I did search before posting but was searching for Maintenance Interval vs. EGR. Thanks for this. Very interesting.
1585913380026.jpeg

I actually have one of the ‘75/76 lights, it was a 3 light unit below the dash. Mine doesn’t have a label on the third light and I don’t believe it was hooked up at all when I bought my ‘40. 12/75 build date.
8F6C57A0-8B7C-4BC2-A814-EA2CB8867090.jpeg
2147E650-0FE2-45B9-AD98-150802A5A2D4.jpeg

Last edited:
Brian - curious as to what the padlock on the parking brake handle shaft is for?

Brian - curious as to what the padlock on the parking brake handle shaft is for?

a po had it on there.
I liked the fouled anchor emblem on it and just decided to let it ride.
Would like to know more about it. Google wasn't terribly helpful in the matter.

20200418_125540 (1).jpg

yeah the 76 model year started in sept or oct of 75.

'75 has what is probably the shortest model year....jan/75 to aug or sept/75

I used to hit my knee on that damn EGR bracket so much back in the day! 😆 I swapped it out for one without the hole (but still kept the bracket, along with some other original parts).

Hey Brian!

Any one know what bulb goes in the 75 brake indicator light, mine doesn’t have one. Maybe any low wattage bulb that fits?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom