1975 BJ40 - Newb questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

New here and to the Toyota world. I ask for your patience and guidance please.

I have recently acquired a '75 BJ40 Turbo Diesel which has been purchased in Costa Rica and will remain locally as my vehicle there.
She has been lifted using SOA method. Running 33x12.5s on 15" wheels.

I'd like to get the stance and proportions a little tighter. Some of the questions I have are:

1) Does an SOA lift come in a standard height? If so, what is the lift height. Therefore what can I expect my lift to be?

2) is SOA a smoother ride than Spring under? I think I saw a YouTube video where this conversion was made and smoother was the conclusion.

3) I am aware that there is geometry with regards to the driveshaft, which appears to have been done correctly here. The question is: can I play with the tire size and rim size? Could I swap for 35sx12.5 on say 16s or 17s without affecting this geometry or am I looking at a complete redo?

4) If I can go 35s will the rear wheel wells be an issue?

5) The vehicle doesn't appear to have a sway bar (speed wobble) - Is this something I should consider? My Wrangler up here with a2" lift and 35s does have one and still it can get narly! Lol

Here are some photos of my ride. I welcome any feedback and suggestions.

9Oa0SV5.jpg
y0cqmDH.jpg
CRdPkE0.jpg
UpjXfUd.jpg
mnzmluG.jpg
oZS7RWG.png
04Evg7M.png

Here are some videos of the vehicle:

Under carriage

Driveshaft

Engine

Interior

Gassing up

Cruising (side+rear view)

Would love to hear what you guys suggest for small and cheap upgrades that won't break the bank lol.
I have already purchased a brand new OEM replacement gauge cluster for $242.00 usd, as mine was not working. I think that's a pretty good deal? could be wrong but saw some outrageous prices out there!!! LINK

Also, just a heads up, I am Canadian currently residing up here. Just trying to get some ideas for what I might or might not need to bring down with me to CR.

Thanks in advance.

1) Does an SOA lift come in a standard height? If so, what is the lift height. Therefore what can I expect my lift to be?
Depending on springs it will probably be a 6" lift, at least unless some really flat springs, flatter than stock, were used.

2) is SOA a smoother ride than Spring under? I think I saw a YouTube video where this conversion was made and smoother was the conclusion.
Stock springs are smoother than lift springs. A 6" SOA using stock springs is going to be much much smoother than a 4" SUA lift with lift springs.

3) I am aware that there is geometry with regards to the driveshaft, which appears to have been done correctly here. The question is: can I play with the tire size and rim size? Could I swap for 35sx12.5 on say 16s or 17s without affecting this geometry or am I looking at a complete redo?
The width and the offset could be problematic. *J40s were originally 3.5" backspacing which is pretty hard to find in 16 or 17" rims. More offset will cause rubbing on the tub on the inside-rear and rubbing on springs and steering components on the inside front. Spacers are a less-than-optimal, often-maligned way of correcting for this.

Wider or spaced-out wheels will cause rubbing on the fender wells. More of a problem in the rear in practice.

4) If I can go 35s will the rear wheel wells be an issue?
Depends. I have slightly wider axles (fj60-width) and I run 4" backspace, 7x16" rims with 315/75-16 tires (35"). They do not rub.

IMO, your ideal rims would be widened stock steel rims, 3.5" backspacing and 8x16" hoops.

5) The vehicle doesn't appear to have a sway bar (speed wobble) - Is this something I should consider? My Wrangler up here with a2" lift and 35s does have one and still it can get narly! Lol
Mine has no sway bar and no steering stabilizer, but all the suspension components are new (ish). It runs 110km/h all day with no wobble of any kind.

Here are some photos of my ride. I welcome any feedback and suggestions.
The rear looks a little shorter than the front. Can't tell from the pics, but you could potentially use some slightly longer shackles to even it out. Too long shackles are not good though.

I have already purchased a brand new OEM replacement gauge cluster for $242.00 usd, as mine was not working. I think that's a pretty good deal? could be wrong but saw some outrageous prices out there!!! LINK
Not a bad price.

Whew, thanks @Fast Eddy - you may have pulled him back from the edge.
I answered the easy stuff, stuff that was pretty objective. There are some subjective topics about tire/rim width and turbo plumbing that my grandma said not to say anything about. Plenty of people have valid opinions about S/A cruisers.

Depending on springs it will probably be a 6" lift, at least unless some really flat springs, flatter than stock, were used.

Stock springs are smoother than lift springs. A 6" SOA using stock springs is going to be much much smoother than a 4" SUA lift with lift springs.

The width and the offset could be problematic. *J40s were originally 3.5" backspacing which is pretty hard to find in 16 or 17" rims. More offset will cause rubbing on the tub on the inside-rear and rubbing on springs and steering components on the inside front. Spacers are a less-than-optimal, often-maligned way of correcting for this.

Wider or spaced-out wheels will cause rubbing on the fender wells. More of a problem in the rear in practice.

Depends. I have slightly wider axles (fj60-width) and I run 4" backspace, 7x16" rims with 315/75-16 tires (35"). They do not rub.

IMO, your ideal rims would be widened stock steel rims, 3.5" backspacing and 8x16" hoops.

Mine has no sway bar and no steering stabilizer, but all the suspension components are new (ish). It runs 110km/h all day with no wobble of any kind.

The rear looks a little shorter than the front. Can't tell from the pics, but you could potentially use some slightly longer shackles to even it out. Too long shackles are not good though.

Not a bad price.

@Fast Eddy THANK YOU SIR!!!! I appreciate your patience here.

I think I'll stick to what I have in terms of rims + tires. I've been driving it around a bit and the set up grew on me. 33s on 15s.
I did hear of people doing a wider stock steel rim. I like the look. I believe a guy on here had 15x9s (custom widened?) with 33s. Looked fresh.
I'm might upgrade shocks to Old man emu nitro and change the springs as well to newer. But leave it SOA.
I will check on the shackles as per your notice. She does seem to sag a little on the ass end.

I got her in Costa Rica and she will be my daily there. So I'd like to make sure the important components for safe driving are attended first.

She makes a lot of noise in 4th. Yet the shifting is smooth. Bearings perhaps? Waiting on my local mechanic friend to open the tranny up and give me the damage. He thinks a simple rebuild kit should help. Thoughts?
The steering box is also leaking. The car has power steering and makes a lot of squealing when turning. The alternator needs adjusting to tighten the belt.
I'll see what the general revision will yield.

@Fast Eddy THANK YOU SIR!!!! I appreciate your patience here.

I think I'll stick to what I have in terms of rims + tires. I've been driving it around a bit and the set up grew on me. 33s on 15s.
I did hear of people doing a wider stock steel rim. I like the look. I believe a guy on here had 15x9s (custom widened?) with 33s. Looked fresh.
I'm might upgrade shocks to Old man emu nitro and change the springs as well to newer. But leave it SOA.
I will check on the shackles as per your notice. She does seem to sag a little on the ass end.

I got her in Costa Rica and she will be my daily there. So I'd like to make sure the important components for safe driving are attended first.

She makes a lot of noise in 4th. Yet the shifting is smooth. Bearings perhaps? Waiting on my local mechanic friend to open the tranny up and give me the damage. He thinks a simple rebuild kit should help. Thoughts?
The steering box is also leaking. The car has power steering and makes a lot of squealing when turning. The alternator needs adjusting to tighten the belt.
I'll see what the general revision will yield.
The old gears are loud. Probably in the t-case. Drive it. It's not going to be quiet. If you want quiet get a 4runner.

The old gears are loud. Probably in the t-case. Drive it. It's not going to be quiet. If you want quiet get a 4runner.
Yea I figured. The 4th doesn't sound good. You think it's coming from the transfer and not the tranny?
Here is a few videos:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom