1975 Air conditioning recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

knuckle47

I can’t get enough Land Cruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
So my very first new car was my 1974 FJ40 and by 1976, it was fully loaded, wheels, tires, Downey Toyota Holley carb and half-cab top, 2” lift, full roll cage and included A/C. This A/C unit was installed by a Toyota dealer and was a slimline looking unit with only a series of vents following the lower section of the dash. I don’t recall it invading the glove box space as I still used that little plug in drop light until the day I had sold it. The heater remained stock Toyota.

I am THINKING of installing a/c in my 1975 FJ40 over the winter. So far, the add-on units I have seen are a thick and bulky unit taking up a fair amount of passenger side space and have a few vents going across the lower dash. The Vintage Air system claims to cut into glove box space ( not that I need this space, but prefer NOT to modify it). I am likely not discovering all of the possible available vendors for installing an A/C system I would prefer.

Any suggestions are appreciated…

Vintage Air takes only a sliver of the glove box for a maybe 4x6x1 inch space for the "brains."
I can take a picture tomorrow, I am just at the installation point as I start putting things back together.
Seemed to be the best one I found when looking. I went with the heavy duty blower.

@V8FJ4078 thank you… the minimal purist part of me hates to cut off any more parts and pieces. I have spent a fair amount returning my FJ40 to stock.. I am also looking to add very low profile parts for the vents and blower. I did see the TPI 4x4 version but I can’t seem to locate the information on line

20221121_200258.jpg
20221121_200304.jpg
20221121_200309.jpg

Here is the glove box space. I have a fiberglass body so this is my glove box out of the body. A plastic control box will fit in that mount below the blue tape holding it there. Mounting the TPI computer and radio in glove box.

20221121_211253.jpg

well @V8FJ4078 , you seem to have a big job under control. I started reading the install manual on line..seems a bit involved but that has never stopped me. Whats the worse that would happen.. It won’t run and I have to call a pro?.

Is this part of a winter project or are you planning to just install the a/c and drive on?

well @V8FJ4078 , you seem to have a big job under control. I started reading the install manual on line..seems a bit involved but that has never stopped me. Whats the worse that would happen.. It won’t run and I have to call a pro?.

Is this part of a winter project or are you planning to just install the a/c and drive on?
Winter project...Several winters project.
Need to fix my rear spring hanger mounts since had rusted through. I had the body off to paint everything 20 years ago.
Started taking everything apart after Christmas in 2020, so this will be 2 years. First time was much quicker, but I am doing a lot more this time.

see more here: 20 Year Rebuild

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom