1974 Front Brake Line Routing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hobbes

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m replacing the soft brake lines on my FJ40. The frame is a 1974. There is a tab that bolts to the frame where the brake line converts from the hard line from the master cylinder to the first of the soft lines. Currently the tab is mounted forward of the engine mount. But this has always seemed to me to bring the soft line very close to rubbing on the engine mount bracket. I see a similar sized bolt hole behind the mount (closer to the master) that would alleviate this. Perhaps mine was changed once?

So my question is: does the hard line from the front brake master route in front or behind the engine mount?

B7E70865-E32F-452F-892D-23D83050F55E.jpeg

Last edited:
1D0B94B6-CCE1-484F-BAC4-2C1F96A51979.jpeg

@hobbes

Here is my original picture showing the arrangement on my Jan 1973 with drums.

The tab is mounted inside the frame with the hard line fitting facing towards the rear.

I hope this gives you another option to consider.
1585780999397.png

Thanks for that photo! That would be option 3 now. When I bought it back in the 90s, it had cheapo headers and the hard line was wrapped in foil, IIRC. I wonder if a PO was boiling brake fluid and moved the hard line so it ran further from the headers.

I‘ll look to see if I have a mounting place there. Thats definitely behind the engine mount.

It also makes for a shorter flexible line, which has close to a single plane orientation.

Bingo. There’s an empty bolt hole right behind the engine mount. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks again.

All this further reminds me that it’s important to take a bunch of photos before you take something apart so you can reassemble it in the same incorrect way as the PO had it. :meh:

5EE4F1A7-70E8-4F1B-9F3D-E722D98E86C7.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom