1974 FJ40 Wiring Harness (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
My son and I recently purchased a 1974 FJ40. Its been a great father son project so far as we are learning how to fix/repair things with the FJ40 together. The next thing we want to try and do to the FJ, is to replace then wiring harnesses. A friend told me to post this question on a forum to get some help. We are looking for a company or person who makes new wiring harnesses that would be plug and play for the FJ40. Your help & recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

When I say complete harness I mean is I believe he would need you old harness. If I remember correctly he only can build around 1970 and below new harness without having the original one. I believe because he doesn’t have all the connectors for anything after that. Hope this helps

Thank you for replying. And thank you for welcoming us to MUD also. Yes we have the original harnesses. The FJ40 is running and in very good shape. We have issues with no tail lights when the headlights are on and the reverse lights do not come one when its put into reverse. I am not sure if is it better to rebuild original or if someone makes them from scratch. I have heard various things from my friends but came onto this forum to get FJ40 help from the more experienced people.

Thank you for replying. And thank you for welcoming us to MUD also. Yes we have the original harnesses. The FJ40 is running and in very good shape. We have issues with no tail lights when the headlights are on and the reverse lights do not come one when its put into reverse. I am not sure if is it better to rebuild original or if someone makes them from scratch. I have heard various things from my friends but came onto this forum to get FJ40 help from the more experienced people.
Welcome! He can make a rear harness for you from scratch if that were the problem is. I’m actually having him do one for me.
His email is FJ40coolerman@gmail.com. That’s the best way to get ahold of him. He doesn’t get on here as much from what he told me. Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Welcome! He can make a rear harness for you from scratch if that were the problem is. I’m actually having him do one for me. He charges $225 for the rear harness.
His email is FJ40coolerman@gmail.com. That’s the best way to get ahold of him. He doesn’t get on here as much from what he told me. Happy New Year!
That sounds great. Thank you for his email. I will send him an email and excited to continue working on the FJ40

I have a 12/73 and had a hell of a time dealing with a harness issue. I ended up buying a used harness from Mark's offroad and sending it to Coolerman and he Refurb'd and tested it. He doesn't build new for our era of 40's. Just refurb and test. That being said, it came back looking (and working) perfect and I would totally do it again.

NathanVail, if you could post some pictures of the wiring issues you are dealing with I(we) may have more suggestions, too.

Try mrLandcruiser
sales@mrlandcruiser.com

makes complete wiring harness has a good video of installing a new harness,
they are in Australia. Not the cheapest bur well made, and correct for the year.
water proof connectors

also If you have your old one, get the correct wire from @Coolerman and make your own, using your load as a template.

Not sure if you've fixed your electrical problems already, but a few more tips since I just went through this on my 1967. @cooleman is an absolute EXPERT on all things wiring harness. He also sell pretty much everything you would need to get your harness working. What I would do if I were you...(and actually just did all of these with very good success).

1) Grab the correct diagram from @cooleman's site below. This wiring diagram for your year will tell you exactly what color wiring and wire stripe you are looking for on each circuit and where they come off the main harness....also what fuse supplies power to them. You can also buy the harness wrap (very different than electrical tape) from @Coolerman which allows you to repair the harness if necessary, and have it come out looking brand new. I bought several rolls of the stuff, even though it goes a long way. Do yourself (and the next potential owner) a favor and buy the correct color wiring for any repairs that you do :)

2) Buy a cheap multi-meter and learn how to use it,. In my case, I had to have a fellow club member (you can call a neighbor just as easily) come over and show me the most basic function. The manual on many of these are Chinese and are spotty at best. Most of the electrical issues on 40s you can go back to where you have 12V and trace the issue from there. A lot of the older Land Cruisers used the frame for ground, so in my case nearly all of my problems were solved by improving ground connections, especially with my rear lights. Knowing how to diagnose these problems on your own and fix them on your own is a skill that your son will have forever. And a skill that I have used a thousand times since the first time I did it on my 40 years ago.

3) If your fuse "box" is corroded at all, remove it and soak it in vinegar and spray with electrical cleaner afterward. This can solve a lot of problems as well, just making sure your lights and switches are actually receiving the power they were supposed to receive. In my opinion, the wiring used on these cruisers is undersized and any corrosion detracts from the actual power that is supposed to be running through them (which heats them up as well).

4) Get involved in a local club. MUD is GREAT, but there is nothing better than having a club member (and future friend) come over to show you how to do something. We all love to help. If I lived in San Diego, I would come over to help you diagnose...No problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom