For Sale 1974 FJ40 Tastefully Modified - NC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate to sell it but I'm excited about building my 1970 40 into a dedicated trail rig. Room and funds force me to choose and the 1974 drew the short straw. The :princess: would never let me sell our 1997 FZJ80 40th since we took our first wheeling trip in it and she's been hooked since!

I purchased the truck the day after Christmas in 2008. The PO owned the truck for ~18 years and I was told he was the second owner. The truck was originally from Northern VA.

The truck was originally the Toyota sky blue, but the PO had it painted green in the late '90s. He performed a frame-off resto-mod at the same time installing a Aquala aluminum tub. From what he told me there was a good bit of rust in the rear of the tub and it wasn't worth the hassle to fix so he went aluminum. He had the truck refinished in ~2005 by Hendrick Toyota in Fayetteville. The truck is painted Jaguar Moorland Green (2 stage metallic with clear - a really nice paint job) and the interior was finished in a roll-on line-ex type product.

The original F engine was replaced with a rebuilt 1978 2F by the PO. The engine has ~41k miles on it. The PO also replaced the transmission and transfer case with a Toyota 4speed. The transmission and transfer case were also gone through by the PO about a year or so before I purchased the truck.

I have receipts for a lot of things but not everything (more than you would probably care to look through).

Specs are as follows:

1974 FJ40 (matching body and frame VIN)
1978 2F engine and 4speed Toyota transmission
60 series big cap distributor, dented side cover, etc
Aquala aluminum tub with original cowl and frame
1976 front disk axle with rear disk conversion
Non ABS FJ80 brake master with Willwood proportioning valve
Powertrax 'No-Slip' locker in rear
OEM Toyota PTO winch - works great
33x10.50 ProComp Mud terrain tires (4 less than 3k miles, 1 brand new) mounted on 15x8 ProComp black bullet hole steel rims (purchased at same time as tires)
MAF 4+ Rear tire and 3 military style jerry can carrier (3 cans included) also fits a coleman k-Mart brand cooler perfect
Skyjacker 4" lift that was installed 8-10 years ago by PO
Stock skidplate
Stock front seats with head rests and stock recovered jump seats in flawless condition
SOR carpet kit
OEM center console
Stock roll bar with pads
OEM fuel tank with new fuel lines replace by the PO within the past 3-4 years

Things I have done since buying the truck (can't leave well enough alone :D):
- New OEM mechanical fuel pump
- New Fuel filter
- Toyota Minitruck power steering w/reman Saginaw pump and custom hydraulic lines (Orangefj45 box and pump bracket)
- moved alternator to passenger side
- new drive belts
- Oil changed probably 5 times
- JimC rebuild OEM carb
- OEM airfilter
- Alpine CD player, Audiobahn amplifier (mounted under the driver's seat) and Memphis Ten 6x9s mounted where your previous speakers were (it's LOUD)
- SOR Bikini top
- Replaced spring and shackle bushings
- New Greasable spring pins
- Replaced the rear frame gussets and wire-wheeled and por-15'd the rear half of the frame
- New rear bumpstops
- New Bistein 5100 series shocks
- New MAF 4-plus ublot flip kit (front and rear)
- New MAF transmission to transfer case fluid bypass kit
- New MAF 4-plus bolt on sliders (they look like similar to the OEM steps)
- Replaced the F intake and headers (the headers were rusted at the collector) with a blasted/painted/machined 2F intake and exhaust manifold with Remflex gasket
- Custom above the frame routed exhaust with a Flowmaster 40 series muffler (done by Alamance Mufflers - sounds really good and isn't too loud)
- Redone front hard doors (new felt, weather stripping, door and window regulators, limiters, etc, etc)
- Redone hardtop sides, rear liftgate, Aquala aluminum drop-down tailgate with OEM (if still available) gaskets, weather stripping, etc
- Redone hardtop cap with SOR headliner
- All new body parts professionally painted by a local body shop (Gibson Autoworks) with PPG paint
- New battery and cables/connectors
- Liftgate strut mod (no more worrying the hatch is going to fall on your head)

The only negatives are that the doors and hardtop do not fit/align perfect. A lot of this has to do with the aluminum tub. Some people might not notice but I'm a perfectionist so I see it. Also the frame has a small portion of the inside boxed section that was cut out and plate welded in by the PO. It's solid but not originally perfect. Also the transfer case has a minor leak from the parking brake/output shaft area. Usually is only a drop or two, nothing major.

The truck is currently at the body shop getting a few minor areas touched up from minor scratches/chips by me while reassembling the doors and hardtop. I should have it back no later than Monday.

I can take as many pics as needed. Here is a link to some exterior pics. I will update with interior pics when I get the truck back.

PICS

Last edited:
This truck is immaculate and turn-key! And beautiful to boot! I'd love to see it stay in NC, but whoever snatches it up is getting one of the nicest 40's anywhere.

Thanks for the compliments...it's bittersweet to sell it. But if I wheel it, I'm worried about a scratch, etc and 3 cruisers plus a daily driver is 1 too many for my parking space right now.

Jon is a perfectinist so anything he says about alignment or things being not right you probably wouldn't even notice if he showed it to you. Followed this rig a couple of times and looked at it closley. Flawless is all I can say. Not to mention did great on the trails.

Got the truck back from the body shop yesterday afternoon. Shot some pics of the interior and undercarriage.

Let me know if anyone would like other/specific pics.

Thanks,
Jon

Additional Pics

I am very interested in this rig. I live in Asheville. I sold my 62 earlier this year and have been looking for a 40 or the right 80 (94' or younger). If you were to keep it what sorts of things does it need? What should I expect to put money into?

Thanks-Malcolm

If you were to keep it what sorts of things does it need? What should I expect to put money into?

Thanks-Malcolm

Honestly - drive it, rotate tires, change oil, drive it more, wash it, wax it, drive it more.

It might need the front end serviced at some point and the coolant flushed/replaced (items I have not performed yet but don't need to be done at this point). The minitruck powersteering box has a little slop in it but drives fine. If you wanted it to be 100% leak free then I'd put a speedy sleeve on the transfer case rear output shaft (It drips one or two small spots on the garage floor after it's driven).

And just like any older vehicle, fix things that break unexpectedly :steer:.

Feel free to PM me for my number and you can ask as many questions as you would like.

I am very interested in this rig. I live in Asheville. I sold my 62 earlier this year and have been looking for a 40 or the right 80 (94' or younger). If you were to keep it what sorts of things does it need? What should I expect to put money into?

Thanks-Malcolm

Nothing really. This is the nicest, best driving 40 I have ever driven in. Jon takes great pride in his work. (you should see his 80)

could I come down and test drive it?

could I come down and test drive it?

Sure - PM/email/call me for details/logistics - no joy riders preferred (i.e. if you are not financially able or serious then please do not waste my and your time).

wow.... just wow.

if the local doesn't come thru you should put it in the Barret-Jackson (sp?) auction. it's that good.

wow.... just wow.

if the local doesn't come thru you should put it in the Barret-Jackson (sp?) auction. it's that good.

No doubt...Jon's trucks are mint. It should be an easy buy at that price.

Good luck with the sale Jon...hope it stays close.

Sadly I'm not currently able to pursue a 40. I had to look at the thread though becuase of the "tastefully modified" spot on. I was half expected something I would roll my eyes at....super nice ruck. Best of luck! Too bad I can't facilitate it coming to VT!

Wow sometimes being in Alaska really sucks when you want to look at a rig. Oh well the salmon will be running soon... the hunt continues.

Bump for a really nice 40.

Fantastic looking rig!

PMs and emails replied to...hopefully it will go to a great home and stay in the MUD family!

I've had requests for engine bay pics so I'll be posting them up sometime tomorrow night for others as well.

EDIT - also the body shop was able to align the doors better...guess that's why their in the business :doh:

Any rust of any kind on the frame or anywhere else?

Any rust of any kind on the frame or anywhere else?

I imagine there is rust somewhere (it's a Land Cruiser) but it is minimal at most. As mentioned in the original post, the PO cut out a portion of the boxed section of frame and replaced with a plate welded in (see pic below).

I've also posted engine bay pics for those who have requested.

:beer:
-Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom