1974 FJ40 Rear door locking mechanism - help (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello gang,

I have a 1974 FJ40 and my rear door outside latch has not opened the hatch for sometime. I've just opened it up using the rear inside latch. Finally took the back panel off and lubed up all of the connections and pivot points. Now the door can be opened from the outside easily.

But...I cannot lock the rear lock anymore. See pic below, but the lock rotates perfectly with the key, but what/where in the world does this stray wide metal piece go?? I am sure it prevents the latch from opening by preventing the latch to operate, but am clueless where it goes.

Does anyone have a clue? BIG thanks in advance for your help.

IMG_2003.JPG

x3, your lock cylinder arm is home-brew and doesn't look like it survived your ovehaul :D

Track down a new arm and it should bolt right to your existing lock cylinder.

AWESOME answers - thanks Cruiseroutfit, Brian & Byron for the input and answers. Byron - the pic was a huge help, thanks!

Now off to see if I can find a "real" fix for this with an original part and not this cluge pos.

Hey Danny,

Thanks for the heads up! Just got done ordering the part - was worried this was going to be a LOT harder to find.

Hope you are staying cool in that LV sun :)

Hey Danny,

Thanks for the heads up! Just got done ordering the part - was worried this was going to be a LOT harder to find.

Hope you are staying cool in that LV sun :)
Hi Guys, please, could anyone point me on the right direction to find hatch door this locking mechanism arm? Thanks

Screenshot_20220516-063959_Chrome.jpg

Classifieds? Worth a look. SOR has never been a cheap source (although one you can rely on)… although with today’s prices their prices may seem much more reasonable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom