1974 fj40 oil change (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, Im new to this forum and Im new to toyotas as well. I just picked up this fj a week ago and Im having trouble knowing which fluids I need to use. I plan on changing everything, oil, oil filter, transmission fluid, exc. What do you guys use?

By hopping around in the forums Ive found which oil I should use for an F engine, and Ive found which oil to use for an F2 engine. But since my 1974 has the F engine with the F2 oil system, which oil should I use?

Thanks in advance!
P.S. I have nothing against jeeps ;)

I always used 10W30 pretty much year round in my '71, '76, and '77 over the past nearly 30 years, temperatures between -10 and +100.

Make sure you get a manual or something to tell you capacities as you might be fooled. The engine takes something like 8.5 quarts of oil. The radiator holds something like 5 gallons, just as a couple of examples.

Pete

A 1974 takes 6 quarts of oil. I use 5W-30, CarQuest brand (Mobil 1 manufactures it), and a CarQuest premium oil filter (manufactured by Wix). Transmission takes 90W gear oil, not sure how much by memory. Get a Haynes repair manual, it'll tell you. If you have questions and want someone to talk to you real-time, PM me for my number. I've got an October 1974, so I'm curious to know your frame # and manufacture date.

Good luck!
Brian

I use 20W50 in Arizona

Sorry I haven't been able to reply within the past few days, thank you all for your help! I did the oil change and learned that I needed a new valve cover gasket because the oil was leaking through it. Any tips on replacing these? The gasket will arrive tomorrow and I will replace it Wednesday

I am curious about the quantity of oil you put in your 74. I have a 74 F1.5 in my 69 and it does not hold anything near 8.5 qts. If you change the filter and use the stock Toyota filter 7 qts puts mine on the full mark after running and letting it sit overnight. When I pulled the 69 F engine I compared oil pans and the F and F 1.5 are different. The dipsticks however looked the same. As for replacing your valve cover gasket. Take a close look at things before you remove the valve cover ( distortion, gasket position etc.) and clean the valve cover and head mating surfaces well.

I am curious about the quantity of oil you put in your 74. I have a 74 F1.5 in my 69 and it does not hold anything near 8.5 qts. If you change the filter and use the stock Toyota filter 7 qts puts mine on the full mark after running and letting it sit overnight. When I pulled the 69 F engine I compared oil pans and the F and F 1.5 are different. The dipsticks however looked the same. As for replacing your valve cover gasket. Take a close look at things before you remove the valve cover ( distortion, gasket position etc.) and clean the valve cover and head mating surfaces well.
Thank you for your advice! As for my oil, I'm right there with you. I used right at about 7 before the dipstick said it was good.

Do I need to drain the oil before removing the valve cover?

No

to replace the cover gasket, yes, clean the head surface with a putty knife to get it perfectly clean. then run the tiniest bead of red rtv you can in the groove of the valve cover where the gasket inserts. gently place gasket in the groove. turn assembly over carefully so gasket doesnt come out and leave sitting on the bench or table for 24 hours. when you flip it onto the bench, give a few firm presses down on the cover. there is NO need for silicone between the gasket and the head surface.

the oil debate will never end, but the only right* answer is to use the proper amount of ZDDP additive. there is no such consumer oil that has enough anymore for these engines.

Any comments on which ZDDP additive people are using? Any reason why you're using a particular brand?

My oil changes: Delo 400 LE 15W40 with a bottle of Redline Engine Oil Break-In Additive, along with a Wix 51515 filter.

i used red line. no reason other than it was on the shelf/amazon. i trust redline products. i use their gear oil in my transfer and tranny.

i convert all my valve covers to the aluminum style and pretty much eliminate all leaks .

i used red line. no reason other than it was on the shelf/amazon. i trust redline products. i use their gear oil in my transfer and tranny.
Good timing to read this post. Bought a 74' FJ40 couple weeks back and have a leak(s). Taking it to my buddy's shop tomorrow to pressure wash and diagnose. I'll be going with redline for everything but engine oil. Redlined app guide does not have TLC on it. Which Redline product did you use?

Thx,
LR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom