1974 FJ40 just the DRIVER side front wheel wobble 🤔 HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pin_Head

I’m glad you mentioned this, a friend told me to do that or even put it up on jack stands with it in 4WD and see if i can get it to wobble.

Pin_Head

I hear yeah, my thinking is that both wheels are probably wobbling but because I’m noticing and seeing the wobble on the drivers side is because the source of the PLAY IS at the Manual Steering Box and because the DS wheel is right there between the MSB and the Center Arm Box is why more wobble shows up. Where as the Passenger Side wheel being further away is not seeing as much play.

I don’t know if that make any sense at all😁

Sorry to chime in here, I don’t really think you should drive it until you get this resolved. Actually seeing you wheel wobble is crazy. The only way you’re going to see it in the driver’s side only is if you king pin bearings have completely given up the ghost.

billmc

Please forgive my ignorance but by King Pin bearings are you talking about the upper and lower Knuckle bearings correct?

sorry, yes knuckle bearings

Steering box wear would not affect one wheel and not the other unless there was some weird counter compensation in the opposite side. I guess that could happen but really the box drives each side evenly via the center arm through the tie rod. If one rod end at either knuckle (upper bearing cap arm) is bad then that would be your issue. You have said they are all good so your descriotion of the issue as being mostly on one side makes it seem like the issue originates in the driver side knuckle bearings, spindle bolts, wheel bearings, or maybe even a warped rotor or lost wheel weights as previously mentioned and that the vibration is being transferred to the passenger side via the tie rod.

Here's wat I would do...

Put the DS front end up on jack stands. Leave the passenger side on the ground. Pull the DS wheel. Pull the caliper. Reinstall wheel. Get on your knees and grab hold of the tire at opposite sides (i.e. - 10 & 2, 9 & 3, etc). Rock the wheel back and forth wth gusto. Avoid having any of your body parts under the rig. Any play should e easily felt as a slight "clunk-clunk". Move your grip on the wheel around the clock until you find out what's loose. You can try this without removing the caliper to avoid having to bleed the system but calipers are fairly tight to the rotors and can make it hard to feel wheel bearing wobble or a loose spndle.

All this presumes I know what I'm talking about.

numby

I have already grabbed the wheel and tried rocking it but I will try again this evening just for ol time sake.

It can’t hurt trying 💪🏻

WOBBLY wheels FIXED!!!
Today I bought the FJ40 to Searchers 4wd Supply and Outfitters (its a local Jeep/off-road shop in the Baton Rouge area). The owner Phil checked and found that the old steel wheels combined with my out of round BF Mud Terrains were together the cause of the vibration I have been having. He performed a Dynamic Wheel Balance process and BAM!! fixed. He said that he couldn’t get’em perfect but did the best he could. To me it made all the difference in the world.

THANKS to everyone for responding to my Post👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Shout out to Pil at Searchers 4wd Supply and Outfitters👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Swap front and rear tires and see if it goes away or moves.

The owner Phil checked and found that the old steel wheels combined with my out of round BF Mud Terrains were together the cause of the vibration I have been having.

So was it all 4? Or just the one that was out of balance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom