1974 FJ40 - Just Delivered - A Lot To Do! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

Newbie here from Los Angeles. Glad to be a part of the forum.

I just bought a 1974 FJ40 (Originally sold as 1975 with an F2 engine, but my investigation revealed otherwise!)
Anyway, live and learn.

image4.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image0 (1).jpeg

It is completely original, F engine has 60K miles. The previous owner just added front disc brakes.
The goal is to make it close to pristine by myself (but not museum quality) and go camping with our 69' Airstream twice a year :)

Questions:
1) Do you guys know a great body shop for this baby in SoCal? It needs a few sheet metal work, some dings here and there; and a new paint.
Both doors don't seem to be straight anymore, leaving a huge gap.

2) The white top needs to be replaced, it is disintegrating with rust! Any clue where to find one?

2) Which websites do you guys use for OEM parts? aftermarket parts?

3) I need to adjust/re-jet the carburetor, is it the same way than with the F2 carburetor using a tachometer and a pressure gauge? I'm way too rich; choke kills the engine and there is a bog while revving at low RPM.

Thanks for your precious help!

I just bought a 1974 FJ40

Congratulations, and welcome to Mud!

Questions:
2) The white top needs to be replaced, it is disintegrating with rust! Any clue where to find one?

The top cap is fiberglass, but the rain gutter around it is steel. I've never had to buy one yet; not sure if someone makes reproductions or not but someone here will know.

2) Which websites do you guys use for OEM parts? aftermarket parts?

For starters, put these guys on speed dial (or bookmark them, or whatever modern equivalent you choose):

Cruiser Outfitters

City Racer LLC

http://www.marksoffroad.net/
You'll need a phone number for Mark; he's almost my age and still conducts business by telephone. I'll find it for you in a minute; he's here on Mud, @65swb45 818-953-9230

3) I need to adjust/re-jet the carburetor, is it the same way than with the F2 carburetor using a tachometer and a pressure gauge? I'm way too rich; choke kills the engine and there is a bog while revving at low RPM.

Looks like you have a Weber Holley carb, not stock. Someone here will know how to tune them; not I.

Have fun with your build and keep us updated on your progress.

That alum valve cover and air cleaner are not oe.
The holley carb is definitely not oem.

Woaaah. Thanks!
That's why I'm here...and also why I've ordered a Haynes manual :p

For starters, put these guys on speed dial (or bookmark them, or whatever modern equivalent you choose):

Cruiser Outfitters

City Racer LLC

http://www.marksoffroad.net/

Oh my. It's Christmas!! Thank you so much for these. I'm already nerding out!
That is precious right there.

The top cap is fiberglass, but the rain gutter around it is steel. I've never had to buy one yet; not sure if someone makes reproductions or not but someone here will know.

The fiberglass is actually in great shape, but the steel gutter is disintegrating. I wonder if it could be repaired?! Hmm.

Nice Freeborn Red!

That is an OE valve cover, just off a 2F engine. People replace them to stop oil leaks from the stamped steel valve covers from the F engines.

I’d add Cruiser Corps to your bookmarks as well. Free shipping over $99 helps!

Hey there ! I am new to the FJ40 world as well, got mine last Feb. mine over time is looking like everything needs fixed / replaced. I am up in Valencia, Ca and have a local trusted mechanic help me with some of the more technical projects. But I was wondering if you found anyone in the Los Angeles area they does alignment on FJ40‘s ? I don’t want to go to a local tire shop that is unfamiliar with the FJ40 ....

Ok lhaluciol, here's the deal on your Holley carb- - -It sounds 1,000% like your Holley has a blown power valve. Since you will be opening up the float bowl to replace the power valve, please buy ebay #302206913478 "high altitude dual stage power valve". These suckers give you a screaming hot rod at 6,000-10,000 feet (i.e. Big Bear). Then while the float bowl is open, install ebay #254412375238 (read copy and see last 3 drawings after the photos). With all of this you won't have to obtain, and keep rebuilding a factory carburetor every time you turn around, and you will out milage and out perform a factory carburetor.

Last edited:
Hey there ! I am new to the FJ40 world as well, got mine last Feb. mine over time is looking like everything needs fixed / replaced. I am up in Valencia, Ca and have a local trusted mechanic help me with some of the more technical projects. But I was wondering if you found anyone in the Los Angeles area they does alignment on FJ40‘s ? I don’t want to go to a local tire shop that is unfamiliar with the FJ40 ....
Contact K&H in Canoga Park. They replaced my Tie Rods then had it aligned ... it steers perfectly now. I’m sure they would tell you who they use...... excellent mechanics for everything land cruiser

Contact K&H in Canoga Park. They replaced my Tie Rods then had it aligned ... it steers perfectly now. I’m sure they would tell you who they use...... excellent mechanics for everything land cruiser
Love it - just looked them up on Yelp. That is exactly what I need! Calling them up on Monday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom