1974 FJ40 Holley Throttle Cable Help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

KWA

Threads
I have a 1974 fj40

Trying to put a throttle cable from the gas pedal to the Holley Carb. Previous owner got creative and did a hard wire linkage from the carb to a modified pedal. Just trying to get it running and on the road before I make any changes to the carb etc.

This is what I understand so far.
-----I need to modify a 1974 or new gas pedal similar to how project wrong way did his. Basically weld a rod to the gas pedal for the throttle linkage to hook to.
-----Drill a hole in the firewall for the linkage bracket (see picture below). It looks like I have the bolts in my firewall but there is no hole for the cable.
(picture from forum).
1631505755538.png

------I would also need to modify the top of the gas pedal to look similar to the older fj40 gas pedals to hold the cable. Or get an after market throttle cable?
------I would then run the stock fj40 cable from the pedal to the holley. And then modify cable to hook up with the holley.

This video I kind of similar to what I was thinking but I have a different pedal design.
Am I missing anything?

1631506197335.png

I have a 1974 fj40

Trying to put a throttle cable from the gas pedal to the Holley Carb. Previous owner got creative and did a hard wire linkage from the carb to a modified pedal. Just trying to get it running and on the road before I make any changes to the carb etc.

-----I need to modify a 1974 or new gas pedal similar to how project wrong way did his. Basically weld a rod to the gas pedal for the throttle linkage to hook to.
-----Drill a hole in the firewall for the linkage bracket (see picture below). It looks like I have the bolts in my firewall but there is no hole for the cable.
(picture from forum).
View attachment 2784865
------I would also need to modify the top of the gas pedal to look similar to the older fj40 gas pedals to hold the cable. Or get an after market throttle cable?
------I would then run the stock fj40 cable from the pedal to the holley. And then modify cable to hook up with the holley.

This video I kind of similar to what I was thinking but I have a different pedal design.
Am I missing anything?

View attachment 2784867

You DID NOT say earlier you had all this going On ?

i have your PJCT Wrong way peddle for cable linkage

in fact 2 different ame in kind options

stand by :

I have a 1974 fj40

(picture from forum).
View attachment 2784865

Am I missing anything?

View attachment 2784867

see my photos of the needed early cable style
Peddle Ben @pjctwrongway Used for his sniper install

I have a 1974 fj40

(picture from forum).
View attachment 2784865

Am I missing anything?

View attachment 2784867
I have a 1974 fj40

(picture from forum).
View attachment 2784865

Am I missing anything?

View attachment 2784867

you also need one of these bumper stops

image.jpg

Yeah sorry about that I have been trying to figure out how to go forward.

My gas pedal is the later version (1974 and newer?) so the bolts don't line up from the earlier version on my fire wall. If you look at the picture at the end of my post it is the second from the right. I do need to modify the top bar of the gas pedal like the earlier version if I use the stock throttle cable. But I also need to move the top bar over to line up to where the stock hole in the firewall would be similar to Peddle Ben @pjctwrongway. He used a 1974 or newer pedal and welded a bar at the top. That's what I'm leaning towards. My original 1974 pedal has been heavily modified and I don't think it will work.

Yeah sorry about that I have been trying to figure out how to go forward.

My gas pedal is the later version (1974 and newer?) so the bolts don't line up from the earlier version on my fire wall. If you look at the picture at the end of my post it is the second from the right. I do need to modify the top bar of the gas pedal like the earlier version if I use the stock throttle cable. But I also need to move the top bar over to line up to where the stock hole in the firewall would be similar to Peddle Ben @pjctwrongway. He used a 1974 or newer pedal and welded a bar at the top. That's what I'm leaning towards. My original 1974 pedal has been heavily modified and I don't think it will work.
OK

I HAVE This also 1974 FJ40 VERIFIED Modle Year Peddle i pulled my self ....

Perfect working order NO rust , its media Blasted perfect READY to refinish too

see below and give me your thoughts please on the 1973-1974 one below \

Let me know if u need any other photos ?

See how the arm that pokes thu the fires wall is at a angle

down Ward 45’ angle that’s how u tell 73-74 F1.5 peddle

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

I have a 1974 fj40

(picture from forum).
View attachment 2784865

Am I missing anything?

View attachment 2784867

OK

I will say this too

this is a OEM TOYOTA genuine Parts CABLE style acceratior cable

perfect and way way more heavy duty then aany HOLLy aftermarket one for sure !

see below tech pics

BD629E60-0D3A-4116-8220-C64CFE01A0F2.jpeg
CBF2F893-952B-4731-93C4-374298D1729F.jpeg
2A3D8723-8996-4640-9DAA-8782BF575F5F.jpeg
27C665F0-813E-4513-8A69-E51C4E08F052.jpeg
554C6E76-1AE0-4F89-B42E-FE6FB4E089BD.jpeg
F4800ED8-BEF3-4D04-BC33-6A48FC946327.jpeg
588424CF-3FED-4066-9ED1-9E0CB7EA69D7.jpeg
11EBDA87-65DD-450D-999A-C940B7E90DDA.jpeg
1E4A1B26-D255-4375-A57E-72241788A3AB.jpeg

More choices:
1. Look at my ebay #265302231893, it's a refurbished pedal and top pedal stopper bracket.
2. Look at my ebay #255068610169, it's a refurbished pedal and top pedal stopper bracket, with my "upgraded" cable.
3. Look at my ebay #255076826707, it's my die stamped cable mounting bracket (shown circled by cable) for the Holley carburetor.
4. Look at my ebay #264869163799, it's my "upgraded"throttle cable, ideal for Holley's, V8's, and fuel injection conversions.

I'll check it out.

Thank you

For the Sniper, but I'd wager the Holley carb is similar enough that there might be some ideas there for you.

I can't tell which firewall/pedal you have, though - if it's the one for the original hard linkages, drilling out that ball joint and using a 24" Lokar downward works pretty well.

Wow, nice option. I'll look into it more. Still waiting on pedal, mine has been modified.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom