1974 FJ40 "Bones" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Inner front hubs were rusting. I never painted them after doing the front knuckle upgrade last year. Treated with Ospho, primed with Masterseries Coatings and painted with semi-gloss black enamel. Looks good and should not rust now.
20180421_105304.jpg
20180421_105309.jpg

So, did you upgrade the tie rods/ends to be able to use the disc brake knuckles with the larger steering arms? Seems like a better solution than trying to sleeve the arm to use the smaller 40 tie rod ends. Assuming that's what you did, can you share the specs for the BudBuilt rods. Disc brakes are in the (hopefully) not too distant future for my '74.

I am using the stock steering arms from 1976 FJ55 knuckles that I changed to last year to upgrade to disc brakes. I bought new TREs from Cruiser Outfitters and the depth of the threads on my old tie rod and draglink were not deep enough to allow the new TRE's to screw all the way in. Also since my 40 has Saginaw power steering the length of my draglink rod is not standard and the threads on the pitman arm end of the draglink are SAE not metric so I needed a custom length and SAE threads on one end so I ordered custom. BudBuilt had the best price and quality IMHO. Happy with the upgrade. Good luck.

Below was copied from the BudBuilt website which has the specs.

FJ40 Tie Rod, M21RHT/M21LHT
  • Tie Rod connects tie rod end at steering knuckle, to other tie rod end on other side.
  • The tapers used are all the same on all Toyota trucks and these ends make a huge increase in the strength and size of the ends.
  • This will effectively give you 3/8 wall of steel and 1.50" OD tie rods.
  • We make these for most model Toyota trucks and carry replacement ends too.
  • The Tie Rod is the longer of the two rods in the picture above. Each order contains one rod.

Just read through your build..... Jolly Good! :cheers:

$6,500.00, what a steal, good for you. Just goes to show you there are still hidden deals to be found out there.

When I was looking for a vintage 4WD a couple of years ago, I put the word out so some fellows around town that I wanted to buy an old FJ40 or an old Bronco. My 1st choice being an FJ40. A young fellow in town was asking around for me and found an early Bronco that was stored about 3 miles away in a farm building. I'll say farm building because I'm tired of the "barn find" term, half of which is eBay BS. Apparently it had a bent valve and it just sat in the building for years. During the down time, the PO sanded the paint off and hit it with a cheap rattle can of primer. Of course, over the years, rust bled through the primer. Although it looked like crap, the surface rust is an easy fix.

The fellow who found it told several other people before me and now a close neighbor of mine scoredit. Word got to him before me. No kidding, he picked it up less than $1,500.00. I was sick when I heard about it, but someone had to get lucky. He's in the process of a total restoration and I even help when I can.

When you score a deal like that, it leaves good bucks for the restoration.

I ended up finding a 71 40 which has later model parts. It's what I call a Heinz 57 but I love this thing. So I'm in the beginning stages of a total restoration. I got a fair deal but rest assured that I didn't get it for $1,500.00.

Your 40 is looking sweet and good luck.

$6,500.00, what a steal, good for you. Just goes to show you there are still hidden deals to be found out there.

When I was looking for a vintage 4WD a couple of years ago, I put the word out so some fellows around town that I wanted to buy an old FJ40 or an old Bronco. My 1st choice being an FJ40. A young fellow in town was asking around for me and found an early Bronco that was stored about 3 miles away in a farm building. I'll say farm building because I'm tired of the "barn find" term, half of which is eBay BS. Apparently it had a bent valve and it just sat in the building for years. During the down time, the PO sanded the paint off and hit it with a cheap rattle can of primer. Of course, over the years, rust bled through the primer. Although it looked like crap, the surface rust is an easy fix.

The fellow who found it told several other people before me and now a close neighbor of mine scoredit. Word got to him before me. No kidding, he picked it up less than $1,500.00. I was sick when I heard about it, but someone had to get lucky. He's in the process of a total restoration and I even help when I can.

When you score a deal like that, it leaves good bucks for the restoration.

I ended up finding a 71 40 which has later model parts. It's what I call a Heinz 57 but I love this thing. So I'm in the beginning stages of a total restoration. I got a fair deal but rest assured that I didn't get it for $1,500.00.

Your 40 is looking sweet and good luck.
Yes I know I got a deal. I bought it on the spot after inspecting.

Thanks to @bj40green for the info and picture of the sliding contact. Fabbed a piece of copper from a pipe strap to replace the broken sliding contact. Reassembled everything and now I have a working horn. Only issue I had was making sure that the new sliding contact did not come into contact with the grounded steering column. Otherwise my horns were on permanently. Doing horn work early in the morning probably did not make me a favorite with the neighbors or my daughter.
20180513_151719.jpg
20180513_151733.jpg
DSC02003.JPG
20180513_151725.jpg

They are 5100s. Had the model number wrong. Discovered that I installed them upside down. Will need to flip them around this weekend. Bummer.

I found a low cost 16 inch steel wheel option with a 3.5 inch backspace and 6x5.5 lugs. Vision 40sm-6683 heavy duty truck/trailer wheel. Comes painted silver. I scuffed with scotchbrite and painted rustoleum dark machine gray. Had to grind the calipers a little to get clearance. 5 wheels delivered to my house for $165.00. Great deal. Ready to mount new MT tires.

Here are the wheels in silver
20180703_165840.jpg

Scuffed the wheels with a scotchbrite and rattlecanned dark machine gray.
20180704_210342.jpg

Had to grind the front calipers to prevent contact.

Got the tires mounted. BFG KM3, size 7.5r16. Equals 32" tall, 8.5 wide, 16 inch rim. I think the 40 looks great.
20180721_193507.jpg

20180720_205458.jpg

20180721_191748.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom