SOLD 1974 FJ40 FST with parts stash, Central Texas $25k obo - SOLD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Unfortunately, it's time to try to sell our FJ40. If you want to read more up on it and see pics (I'll post some more but I don't want to double post the same pics, go here: Putting out feelers on 1974 FJ40 Worth

In short, we can't store her anywhere close and I don't want to ruin her.

My wife and I talked about finishing out the bows and getting a top but then we'd just be asking more and, seeing how many people are selling tops now, the new owner can pick out their color.

When we got her about 5 years ago, she had 27000 miles (looks and owner claimed original but no real proof), her master cylinder was leaking all over the place and it took a full choke pull and a can of carb starter with a lighter to get her running. The electrical was all dorked up (they tried rewiring the lights for a little boat trailer). I don't know how long the original owners had stored it in a barn but all of the hoses were dried out and cracked.

She now had new hoses, replaced the aisin (sp) carb with another aisin (sp x 2), starts without touching the choke, and I figured out the wiring. I'm not a wrencher and thought this would be a could project to learn on. The 40 was stuck in our garage for at least 2 years before I was able to get all of that figured out. We had it towed to a real mechanic to get the brakes fixed, the master cylinder replaced, and to get it to run for more than 30 seconds at a time.

The rest is in the thread - basically we moved to a new town with an old house a year ago. No garage and we can't put in a carport.

So it's a 1974 FST. Surface rust only. I have 90% of the original bows. They are going to need a little work. I have a crapton of parts that I'm including:

• Kayline bikini top (on the 40)
  • Partial set of FST Bows
  • Set of Bestop Bows and installation hardware
  • Set of FST Doors, good plexiglass, no canvas
  • Set of Hardtop doors used for parts. Good glass. Was originally going to use them on the 40 but then I read the weight is bad for the FST hinges.
  • Set of custom half doors (on 40 - love these things, I haven’t seen a better done set).
  • 1974 Carb (scavenged for parts)
  • Original Toyota seatbelts (put in new ones and shoulder belts for the front)
  • 5 point Racing harness seatbelts (came with the besttop seat)
  • Original grill (replaced with another 1974 grill)
  • White besttop soft top
  • Original steering wheel (replaced with another 1974 steering wheel because the original was cracked)
  • Besttop rear seat (bought because my daughter wouldn’t ride in the jump seats. Didn’t install because I didn’t want to cut the truck)
  • Dizzy caps, hoses (I had to replace every hose because the 40 was locked up in a barn for decades and they had rotted or had mud-dauber nests in them)
  • Original side view mirrors (one was cracked, replaced with another set of 1974 mirrors)
  • Roll bar pads (bought extra incase I needed to replace the original)
  • Bag with some of the original hoses I replaced (in case I needed to size them… or I’m a part hoarder)
  • Carb gaskets & rebuild kit
  • Door limiters, carb insulator (hard to find), original turn signal switch, door parts, original shifter knob
  • Door latch parts
  • Steering wheel remover tool, extra fan belt, 1974 windshield washer (never replaced but needs to be), radiator cap
  • Original grease gun (I have a tool kit but it’s for a FJ60 so I’m keeping it)
  • Original carb fuel line, extra hoses
  • Reconditioned 1974 Master Cylinder (can never have too many, I guess)
  • More door parts
  • PCV Valve and an extra rearview mirror
  • Two 1974 seat headrests and another pad for rollbars
  • Steering wheel casings
  • Cigarette lighter that came with the vehicle
  • Manuals and wiring diagrams
  • Bag full of the buttons and stuff for besttop soft
  • 2 extra sets of door side FST hinges
  • Original eyebolts for the canvas door safety straps, engine light, rear holders for the FST soft top
  • Original FST door safety straps (bought from an old Toyota mechanic off of eBay. Never seen the light of day (until I took the pic).
We'd like $25k obo... We are in the Bastrop area of Central Texas and we would consider knocking the price down a little bit for cash and a decent golf cart. (Yeah, my life has come to this...)

I don't want to ship it, I'd like to meet the person that is buying her so you can drive her and be positive on what you are buying. I'm not in this to rip people off but I'm also not in this to be giving something away. The plan, when we found her, was to keep her forever. Unfortunately the house trumped the 40. If we can't sell her for what we are looking for, then we'll keep her and do the best we can to protect her from the weather.

I'm hoping whoever buys her will be somebody that will preserve her. She's an awesome little 40 and really deserves to be back hunting on a ranch or a daily driver somewhere where she can be enjoyed.

Pics follow...

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1512.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG

Can't believe this hasn't sold for $18K. What a steal with all that is included and it is a FST! I'd take this over the one that is for sale at a "steal" of $22K... Yeah it doesn't have shiny paint but you know it's original and no crazy bondo work. Throw a Trollhole top on this, get matching fabric for the doors, and you'd be all set unless you wanted to do more to it.

Can't believe this hasn't sold for $18K. What a steal with all that is included and it is a FST! I'd take this over the one that is for sale at a "steal" of $22K... Yeah it doesn't have shiny paint but you know it's original and no crazy bondo work. Throw a Trollhole top on this, get matching fabric for the doors, and you'd be all set unless you wanted to do more to it.

Did he drop the price to $18k? I've been rooting this one on, but I'm biased :)

And therein lies the catch-22.........those wanting 'shiny paint' arent prepared for the overhaul involved in dialing this one in and those people will likely opt for a $30k completely shiny and refurbed ready to go.

Those who can do the overhaul - whether it be a frame off resto or full drivetrain refresh and getting this one up to daily driver are people who will be looking for the $6-7000 rust free versions that are ready to be gone thru.

imho theres a very wide range between $6000 and $18k when the vehicles needs are more on the side of "restoration candidate" vs "finished restoration".

Bondo huh. You should come check it out. No bondo on mine. I get your point tho. That's why I did not do the paint or coating underneath mine. I want people who check it out to see the panels, sill, and patchwork to be seen from the underside. And one Mud member already attested to the metalwork done on mine.

Anyway bump for this one hope it goes to a good home.

Bondo huh. You should come check it out. No bondo on mine. I get your point tho. That's why I did not do the paint or coating underneath mine. I want people who check it out to see the panels, sill, and patchwork to be seen from the underside. And one Mud member already attested to the metalwork done on mine.

Anyway bump for this one hope it goes to a good home.

Nope never said yours @MIKKELSEN had bondo and sorry if that was how it was interpreted. Certainly wasn't my intent. That was a general statement that is fairly common amongst this forum. Original paint you know there isn't bondo. New paint without photos of the build and you never know.

I have bondo on mine as noted in my build since I welded in patch panels where the PO cut the fenders for bigger tires. I know some people have been taken. Again just surprised that this hasn't moved considering the price and the originality.

Lol I saw the steal at $22K and assumed you were talking about mine.

I agree. It's really clean and original. Living in the southwest I would think you could find them now and again but I have only seen one in ABQ and Las Cruces over the years that clean and it belongs to Las Crucer.

Again I hope it sells and I do think it's a good deal at what he's asking. Originals are rare.

And therein lies the catch-22.........those wanting 'shiny paint' arent prepared for the overhaul involved in dialing this one in and those people will likely opt for a $30k completely shiny and refurbed ready to go.

Those who can do the overhaul - whether it be a frame off resto or full drivetrain refresh and getting this one up to daily driver are people who will be looking for the $6-7000 rust free versions that are ready to be gone thru.

imho theres a very wide range between $6000 and $18k when the vehicles needs are more on the side of "restoration candidate" vs "finished restoration".

I see this in the performance boat world a lot. Usually after one or two budget buys and long term restores a shiny uild by someone else comes in cheaper and you could have been driving it for years vs. it taking up space unassembled.

Well, I'm officially giving up on selling it for now. I'm going to think about it and regroup. Maybe I'll throw it on eBay, maybe I'll put it in a storage locker and try again in a few years. I may strip the extras off of it and sell those separately.

Anyways, going on a vacation in a few days, I'm temporarily borrowing a persons carport across town so it's out of the weather.

Thank you all for looking and for the comments.

Just a follow-up on the compression. Brought it to a local guy and he ran the compression this morning. Pretty much sucked. 85.83 average +/-8.58. However, he is 100% positive it's the original miles. He told me the rings need to be cleaned and that it's just been sitting too long. (We put maybe 200 miles on it in 5 years and who knows how long it had been sitting before we bought it). Told me to add some oil and fuel stabilizer, drive it for a few hundred miles and redo the compression test.

Is it on EBay yet?
Not yet - wanted to get things figured out first and we are also leaving for Michigan in a few days. I didn't want to deal with eBay while on vacation. I have a temporary carport on the other side of town to park it under so I'm not in such a big hurry to get her gone. Although it is in the near future.

You're
Just a follow-up on the compression. Brought it to a local guy and he ran the compression this morning. Pretty much sucked. 85.83 average +/-8.58. However, he is 100% positive it's the original miles. He told me the rings need to be cleaned and that it's just been sitting too long. (We put maybe 200 miles on it in 5 years and who knows how long it had been sitting before we bought it). Told me to add some oil and fuel stabilizer, drive it for a few hundred miles and redo the compression test.

admire your honesty.Enjoy Mi.

Was contacted a month or so ago by another mudder - he looked her over and test drove. Looks like he might purchase this winter.
I have her parked under a carport a few blocks from our Home. My Special Needs bro-in-law has been in and out of the hospital for the last few months (at the hospital as I write this) so I haven’t had a chance to drive and get the compression checked again. Hoping to do it soon but life just keeps getting in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom