1974 fj40 Distributor problems and questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey. First post on sight. Working on my 74 FJ40 and having trouble getting it to run smooth. Looking into distributor as it has some play at rotor... and jumps around maybe 3 degrees with timing light. It has the vac retard dizzy and so considering the options. Would the china electronic be a cheap quick fix, or should I find a newer advance type dist... say 1977. I can get a rebuilt 77 one from Cardone for 140. Not sure of best options. Thanks for some input.

Do a search on posts by @4Cruisers both here and in the classifieds. You have at least a couple of oem options.

I have a '75/'76 2F distributor that I refurbished and converted to electronic ignition using mostly Toyota parts. It also has a new NipponDenso vacuum advance unit. I also have a compatible used Toyota coil/igniter.

Here's the For Sale ad for distributor:

Hey. Interested in your dist for my 74 FJ40 with stock F engine. Mine has some run out... not sure how bad its affecting performance. At idle it fluctuates about 3 degrees with the timing light every so often. So at higher revs maybe worse. email me at robertsb47@gmail.com so I can call you. Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom