1974 FJ40 clutch question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question. My 74 FJ40 has a 4 speed, which I don't think was original since it was made in December 1973. It still has an F engine. If I wanted to replace the clutch parts, which kit would I go with? There's a lot of differences in what websites say for the year and description of the clutch kits. I guess my question is does the clutch kit fit according to the transmission or the engine?

Examples of some possible kits I found:
FJparts 58-74
FJparts 74-87
Cruiser Corps 58-74
Cruiser Corps 74-87
CityRacer 75-87

X2 take the cover off and use the same. My July’74 used a 3 finger with its stock 4 speed.

Just be sure to buy new (not reman) unless you want to do it again in 5000 miles.

As said, match it to what you have. The clutches are flywheel dependent. So if you have the 3 finger clutch you need to replace it with the same. The clutch doesn’t care what trans is there, just what flywheel.

Only sure way to tell what you need is drop the inspection cover and have look.
Except; the 3 speed and 4 speed cutches used different clutch slave pushrods and forks. And we all know that you must use year correct clutch parts.
So, look at your clutch slave pushrod and fork, is it 3 speed or 4 speed?

Mine is a 74 also. February 74 it has a F and 4 speed original with a 3 finger clutch. Ditto on don’t bother with remanufactured.

Quick question. My 74 FJ40 has a 4 speed, which I don't think was original since it was made in December 1973. It still has an F engine. If I wanted to replace the clutch parts, which kit would I go with? There's a lot of differences in what websites say for the year and description of the clutch kits. I guess my question is does the clutch kit fit according to the transmission or the engine?

Examples of some possible kits I found:
FJparts 58-74
FJparts 74-87
Cruiser Corps 58-74
Cruiser Corps 74-87
CityRacer 75-87
The transition from 3 speed to 4 speed happened around 9/73 so your transmission could very well be original. The clutch/flywheel was then upgraded to the diaphragm 2F-style in 9/74. Since the change to model year 75 with a 2F engine didn’t happen until 1/75 it makes the 74 model year challenging to identify the right parts.

I have a 12/73 (74 model) as well with the three finger set up as well with a 3spd though
3 speeds remained common in the 1974 model year, less common in ‘75, and fairly rare, but still available stateside in’76.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom