1974 exhaust leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have an exhaust leak and am pretty sure of the culprit. Can anyone confirm that the gap where the manifold meets the exhaust pipe should not be there?
1655745664080.png
t leak

Have an exhaust leak and am pretty sure of the culprit. Can anyone confirm that the gap where the manifold meets the exhaust pipe should not be there?
View attachment 3038968t leak
Confirmed, there should not be any gaps. Is that pic of a gap between the pipe and the flange?

Confirmed, there should not be any gaps. Is that pic of a gap between the pipe and the flange?
Yes, its like there is a slightly larger diameter pipe coming out of the flange and then the exhaust pipe goes in it...

1974 should be 2 studs flange between the manifold and exhaust.
3 studs = 2F manifold

1974 should be 2 studs flange between the manifold and exhaust.
3 studs = 2F manifold
'74 could be a Late F engine...

'74 could be a Late F engine...
You mean that late 74 would already have a 2F exhaust?

I just checked the EPC and both the manifold and exhaust don't change of PN between 09/73 and 01/75.

You mean that late 74 would already have a 2F exhaust?

I just checked the EPC and both the manifold and exhaust don't change of PN between 09/73 and 01/75.
Cool. I couldn't remember my Late F exhaust manifold, have not seen it in 20 years.
Did the F and 2F have different sized inner diameter of the outlet? Might account for gaps...

That looks like the double walled exhaust and the outer pipe was cut off.
I know my 1970 exhaust manifold outlet uses a different, smaller diameter gasket than newer (like 1977).

There's a thermosensor for carb fan on the manifold (at 9 o'clock). Not found on a '74. Either someone put in a different engine or swapped in a later Intake/Exhaust combo and tried to adapt the existing down-pipe. More pix would help.

What angle would you like? I'll scrape the plate to see what the engine is, not overly concerned at this point, just want to make sure that that gap should not be there

A few overall pix of the engine compartment from different top angles would be a good start.

(Hint: Silver star membership will allow you post unlimited pix far easier, for only $20/year and avoid all the pop-ups ;))

Attached the photos.

IMG-0633.jpg

IMG-0634.jpg

IMG-0635.jpg

Yes. Looks like somebody swapped in a late 2F (possibly from an FJ60) and tried to adapt the smaller downpipe.

makes sense. I'll take it to the exhaust shop and see what they can do.

Since I posted that pic might as well ask if anyone knows that that dryer vent thing is coming down from the air cleaner?

It's a Hot Air Intake, supposed to help warm up when engine cold by diverting hot air from around the exhaust up into the air cleaner - However, the round thing on top of the AC snorkel controls a flap inside that closes off intake from the normal ambient air when cold start, then supposed to open when engine or ambient temp warms, allowing in ambient air .. . My guess is that isn't working or hooked up.

Oh, btw, that 3-hole flange under the exhaust manifold ( in your first pic ) is an odd-ball. Exhaust shop is unlikely to have it.

@ToyotaMatt sells a kit, should you want an exhaust shop to fabricate a new downpipe that will work better.

1655754501276.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom