1973 OEM Floor Mat Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40Savvy

SILVER Star
Threads
I have a 10/72 FJ40 with a 3 speed on the floor, PTO winch and rear heater. I purchased a OEM mat that was installed in a 78 FJ40 so it has holes for either a 4 speed or a 5 speed. I'm trying to figure out the best approach for managing the cut holes. A have a couple questions/requests.

Looking pictures of a 1973 FJ40 3 speed with a OEM floor mat installed to see what an OEM installation looks like so I can match it as close as possible.

Do the rear heater hoses go on top of the mat or below the mat?
Does it make sense to purchase a 4 speed boot just to cover the holes or use the existing 3 speed boot?

May not be much help. This is my 10/72 with a mat that came out of a 76. You can see the 3spd boot is offset from the cutout for the 4spd. The transfer case shifter lined up. The heater lines should be under the mat.

E8D3268F-A347-41A8-8449-2A031377B0DF.jpeg

If you really want to get it as close as possible pull the transmission cover. Remove the transfer case linkage and top cover for the three Speed. Then cover the transmission to keep anything from getting in. Rei still the transmission cover and everything else. Seat frames will align the mat. Now cut the two holes. While the transfer linkage is in the same place the opening is different than the four speed. After cutting pull the mat and install the boots.. put the mat in and see if any additional trimming is needed. A lot to do it this way but make a mistake you will always know it's there.

Funny it's marked for a five speed since those started as a option on the 83 model. Mods to the tunnel are required including height for clearance. Most also use a 60 series H55F which moves the transmission shifter further back. The transfer shifter was stock for a 40 series H55F it is about a inch further back than the four speed. Curious what five speed setup is it marked to cut?

Thanks for the information. This is exactly what I was looking for. I will likely install it with the existing tunnel and have offset hole in the mat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom