1973 FJ43 brakes and front bearings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
the rear brakes were dragging so I pulled the drums from all four corners and found some interesting stuff. First the keeper clips were missing on the brake shoes in the rear which may explain why they were dragging. The brake drums look like the were turned (resurfaced) and brake shoes look relatively good however most of the supporting hardware looks original. Up front the left side looked orginal like the safety wire was still on the brake back plate bolts. On the right this was not the case. Also the snapring on the end of the axle was missing and it looks oily (wet) while the left front and two back brakes look dry. The back plates are rusty as all get out to a point I plan to remove the brakes and clean it up. Also the fluid is black so I plan to drain purge and replace.

I can't believe how simple the system is but the two wheel cylinders are confusing. I have some questions

1. How best does one adjust the brake shows with two adjusters?
2. I can not find a snapring (c clip) for the end of the right front axle, where can I find one?
3. What side to the return springs go on the shoes, inside the brake shoe or outside the brake shoe or one in and one out or does it make any difference?
4. Any handy tips on making this right other than changing to disk brakes?

1st I recommend downloading a fsm. They can be found in the classified section. You can also use the search function. Basically you adjust 1 adjuster till the wheel no longer spins then back off the adjuster 4 to 5 clicks, so it spins. Then adust the other adjuster the same way. One spring goes in frt side of the shoe and 1 on the backside. The manuals will go into more detail than I described. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom