1973 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone first time posting here and its going to be a little lengthy. My fj40 ( i believe its a F engine) does not run and i have the done the following, i rebuilt the carb, new ignition coil, spark plugs, spark plug wires, new points, condenser and it is timed for plug one at tdc. Using a screwdriver on the starter i have no issues turning it over but have yet to do a compression test. As of a month ago i was getting backfire through the carb and rebuilt it for that reason but now im still not getting a start gas is making it to the fuel pump. On top of this i cant get oil to my rockers and my fuel filter is dry about a month or two after replacing. Do i the car to run consistently to be pumping oil well? Any suggestions as to why im not getting a start would be great.

Spark plug only fires every other time the flywheel show TDC. Need to be sure the piston is at the top of the compression stroke.

Hello everyone first time posting here and its going to be a little lengthy. My fj40 ( i believe its a F engine) does not run and i have the done the following, i rebuilt the carb, new ignition coil, spark plugs, spark plug wires, new points, condenser and it is timed for plug one at tdc. Using a screwdriver on the starter i have no issues turning it over but have yet to do a compression test. As of a month ago i was getting backfire through the carb and rebuilt it for that reason but now im still not getting a start gas is making it to the fuel pump. On top of this i cant get oil to my rockers and my fuel filter is dry about a month or two after replacing. Do i the car to run consistently to be pumping oil well? Any suggestions as to why im not getting a start would be great.
If your fuel filter is an aftermarket and dry, you may have the flow backwards. Make sure the arrow on the filter is pointing the right way. Make sure your points are gapped correctly. You can pull one of the plugs and put a spare plug in it and set it on the engine where it can ground and turn it over to confirm you're getting spark.

If the distributor is 180 degrees out, it will typically cause a backfire, as 'Living in the Past' stated.
Just some other things to look at. Hope you get it figured out.

Did you remove the distributor? If so you probably don't have it installed correctly.

You won't get oil to the rockers just from cranking it with the starter. In fact if it is really dry and hasn't ran in awhile it takes 20-30 seconds of running to see oil out of the rockers in my experience

maybe a clogged fuel line or fuel tank. i had same type of problem and i rigged a boat gas tank directly to carb intake to test. fired right up. turned out my fuel tank was clogged.

The easy thing to check and the more likely problem is the points may not be opening enough. That will cause hard to start and backfire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom