For Sale 1973 FJ40 Tub - Fenders - Doors and more (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well.. right this minute we may use it for a trail rig. Trying to see about compression on the engine, leakdown, etc first. But it's a frame up resto to some level or another. Yeah, I'd probably let the frame/engine/drivetrain...rolling chassis go for the right money.

I have a MUD member wanting the tub/transcover/tailgate right now so probably not. The other covers I have are rough.
Ok...thanks.

Not surprisingly, the engine's compression is pretty bad but the more we rotated it the more it came up. So, still out to lunch on that. Pulled the valve cover, spotless. No doubt it's been built but time has taken it's toll. We may pull the head or may keep giving it some rotations to see if it keeps climbing. At the end of the day it may need a cursory hone, fresh rings, a simple valve job and go. We shall see.

We found a little surface rust in some far away corners but man this tub is super clean! SS454 is gonna be a happy camper from what I can see! Check out the chassis under it. Dusty but nice.

IMG_20161101_162218.jpg

IMG_20161101_161855.jpg

IMG_20161101_161845.jpg

IMG_20161101_162615.jpg

dayum, looks like I just missed out, got any more tubs like this laying around?

That's a good question. Everything seems to have been restored. No leaks from the axles. One of the brakes is a little sticky from sitting, probably should be opened up and checked front and rear. Axles had fresh lube in them. Shocks look OEM and are safety wired.

Are you just wanting the frame/suspension/axles or the whole thing?

If the whole thing, I can't verify that the engine was 'rebuilt' at some level, however it looks to have lots of fresh gaskets, we pulled the valve cover and it's pristine like a fresh build. However the engine has lousy compression but as we have left some Marvel Mystery oil in it and tested again it seems to be coming up in decent amounts. I spent 10 years in the engine business and this is my assumption....

The engine was probably built, was it a re-ring or a full bore, grind the crank, etc rebuild? I have no idea. I suspect it was never started and it has sat for years. Carb needs a rebuild, froze up, dirt daubers, etc. There could be light rust in the cylinders, a glaze of some sort, valves may not be sealing well (they are not sticking, I checked each one)... just can't say for sure without pulling the head and going from there. These are my assumptions. I find it hard to believe someone would do a frame up and not address the engine. Trans and xfer case all 'look' fresh.

Engine spins over nicely, has a brand new starter and using a remote start cable it is certainly not seized and spins well. We have fresh oil in it but can't attest to pressure.

I think worst case you could pull the head and do a simple refresh valve job and new seals. Maybe do a quick hone and re-ring and go....IF my assumptions are correct. No, I haven't done a leak down.

Notice in the photo where I wiped down a piece of the frame an muffler...just years of storage dust. Pristine under neath... only scuffing is on body mount tabs.

So, to answer your question.... I'm not sure how much, depends on what you want too.

Wet area on the skid plate was us checking trans/xfer case oils.

IMG_20161102_095221.jpg

IMG_20161102_095241.jpg

IMG_20161102_095249.jpg

IMG_20161102_095234.jpg

Last edited:
We found a little surface rust in some far away corners but man this tub is super clean! SS454 is gonna be a happy camper from what I can see! Check out the chassis under it. Dusty but nice.

View attachment 1345336

View attachment 1345337

View attachment 1345338

View attachment 1345340

I can't wait to see it! I better get to work rebuilding the 4speed and TC, this things isn't going to take as long to build as I thought! Hopefully everything makes it home safe and sound tonight. I'm going to run up and take a look tomorrow night after work.

Hey I'm in dire need of a tub, I have a 1973 Fj40 that was rolled & I can't find a website that sells tubs for my model. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom