1973 FJ40 SM465 Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That’s how many of us start. I had done brakes and struts before hand. Now I don’t know any better than to mess it up myself. Couple guys at work poke fun at my mistakes, but I figure it hasn’t killed me yet.
Ha ha! That’s pretty much the same here!

Here is an old thread on the sm465 plate adapter if you haven’t seen it
I wish I had got in on this group order ,, but I was to cheap at the time to pull the trigger.

,,,l
Do you have the part number of the clutch kit you use? I may swap the clutch out again while I’m at it. Mine looked like it would work fine. The clutch pedal was very stiff but that’s good, right? I don’t want to replace the clutch since this one is brand new but I’d rather swap it out now if I have to.

If your clutch is relatively new and looks good, id just get a new t/o bearing and put it together.

If your clutch is relatively new and looks good, id just get a new t/o bearing and put it together.
The clutch is brand new. He had mentioned earlier in the thread that I may need a low profile pressure plate because some people have problems with the one I bought and installed. I’m wondering if I should do that while I have the transmission out.

The clutch is brand new. He had mentioned earlier in the thread that I may need a low profile pressure plate because some people have problems with the one I bought and installed. I’m wondering if I should do that while I have the transmission out.
Just found it on an old thread.

NAPA 54-62 Eng. w/ 11” clutch
MU5473

Pressure plate part CA5473

Just found it on an old thread.

NAPA 54-62 Eng. w/ 11” clutch
MU5473

Pressure plate part CA5473
Should I buy and install the entire NAPA kit? I have the GM clutch fork and the 11” clutch, TO bearing, and pilot bearing from the 1975 K5 Blazer clutch kit I just bought and installed. Do I just need the low profile pressure plate?

Should I buy and install the entire NAPA kit? I have the GM clutch fork and the 11” clutch, TO bearing, and pilot bearing from the 1975 K5 Blazer clutch kit I just bought and installed. Do I just need the low profile pressure plate?
Just need the pressure plate yep CA5473. U can use your other parts with it.

Just need the pressure plate yep CA5473. U can use your other parts with it.
Man, that plate is getting hard to find! NAPA said they couldn’t get it anymore, Autozone had one in a clutch kit but I don’t need the whole kit. There were some more on the Internet but they were outrageously priced. I found a remanufactured one on eBay and ordered it. It will hopefully be getting here around the same time as the new adapter.

Man, that plate is getting hard to find! NAPA said they couldn’t get it anymore, Autozone had one in a clutch kit but I don’t need the whole kit. There were some more on the Internet but they were outrageously priced. I found a remanufactured one on eBay and ordered it. It will hopefully be getting here around the same time as the new adapter.
I use the cheap remanufactured ones there still should be some around. Odd. I better check my local parts stores. I could use another one also. Mine is like 20 years old in my rig.

I use the cheap remanufactured ones there still should be some around. Odd. I better check my local parts stores. I could use another one also. Mine is like 20 years old in my rig.
Got the flat diaphragm pressure plate installed.
No shops will drill and tap the transmission shaft though. Called at least a dozen and got a dozen no’s. The motor is in crooked too so I’m just looking for a pro to finish this. Can’t find a dang garage that will do this either. I’ve called and visited several in the upstate of SC and NOBODY will do it. It’s crazy how no shops want to do old school work.

86D50086-4DFD-45F4-A6A0-E68E646BF1FC.jpeg

88436B82-1EFA-4CE0-810A-4EE6ED545312.jpeg

Got the flat diaphragm pressure plate installed.
No shops will drill and tap the transmission shaft though. Called at least a dozen and got a dozen no’s. The motor is in crooked too so I’m just looking for a pro to finish this. Can’t find a dang garage that will do this either. I’ve called and visited several in the upstate of SC and NOBODY will do it. It’s crazy how no shops want to do old school work.

View attachment 2660364

View attachment 2660365
I just picked up my body after it was painted. Good guy and a fair price. He said he’s trying to get out of full body paint jobs- just wants to do panel repair. Said it’s better money and easier. A lot of the old school stuff is going that way.
Did you remove the shaft from the transmission? If not that might make the job seem daunting for a shop. Just a thought.

I just picked up my body after it was painted. Good guy and a fair price. He said he’s trying to get out of full body paint jobs- just wants to do panel repair. Said it’s better money and easier. A lot of the old school stuff is going that way.
Did you remove the shaft from the transmission? If not that might make the job seem daunting for a shop. Just a thought.
Yeah, that's the way it seems.
I was going to remove the shaft but I may have a shop that can do it. They said they would at least try. If the bit breaks I'm out $150 and stuck in the same spot as I am right now. Hopefully they can do it. I really don't want to take the transmission apart.
So, the motor is sitting in there crooked. If you are looking at it from the front, it's at like 1:00 where it should be at 12:00. I have no clue why the PO did it that way. I can't find anybody to move it for me (straighten it to 12:00 and move it forward a couple of inches) and weld the motor mounts so I may try to do that myself. I don't have the skills to do this but I'm gonna have to give it a try.

Yeah, that's the way it seems.
I was going to remove the shaft but I may have a shop that can do it. They said they would at least try. If the bit breaks I'm out $150 and stuck in the same spot as I am right now. Hopefully they can do it. I really don't want to take the transmission apart.
So, the motor is sitting in there crooked. If you are looking at it from the front, it's at like 1:00 where it should be at 12:00. I have no clue why the PO did it that way. I can't find anybody to move it for me (straighten it to 12:00 and move it forward a couple of inches) and weld the motor mounts so I may try to do that myself. I don't have the skills to do this but I'm gonna have to give it a
I’m sure it can be done in the transmission. When I swapped my 350 in I had never done anything of the sort. Still not the best welder, but it’s still working. Get your hands on a good welder and move the mounts. Your u joints will thank you.

I drilled my own shaft using a masonry bit, to get thru the initial shaft hardening, then a standard bit. tapped it 9/16 and was done. be awhile since I did it but wasn't too difficult.

I drilled my own shaft using a masonry bit, to get thru the initial shaft hardening, then a standard bit. tapped it 9/16 and was done. be awhile since I did it but wasn't too difficult.
Finally found a machine shop that would attempt it. I dropped it off yesterday and they said they hoped to have it done early next week. Thanks for the info. I was about to try it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom