1973 FJ40 SM465 Swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You can mount it off of the transmission I’ve seen guys remove the pto covers and bolt steel plates over the holes and weld there mounts to the plates. U could also remove that rear cross member and use your propeller mount. On mine my adapter had a mount on the botttom. For my linkage it’s just the stock linkage with a threaded hole bored into a piece of flat bar. I drilled one hole deeper into the flat bar to make it sit even on the side of the Tranny and threaded the post is off of the side of my old Toyota 4spd threaded into the flat bar.

That mount you have is a bit fugly I’m not a fan of it bolted to that spot on the tcase but it should work that’s pretty much like mine but instead it bolts to the adapter. And I put my crossbar flat against the bottom of frame rails and ran a long bolt through the frame no bracket welded to bottom frame.

Not sure of your fabrication desire level, but this is what I’m planing to do when I get time- sm465 transmission crossmember mount - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/sm465-transmission-crossmember-mount.541541/
Basically, removing to pto covers on the sm465 and creating a cradle in their place. Then creating a crossmember to mount it to. Currently, I’m running a plate adapter and AA crossmember on my Orion. Since I switched to the Orion(cast iron), this project has moved to the back burner tho.
Wow! That looks really good. Probably out of my skill level. What kind of plate adapter do you have? Next time I have to drop the transmission I want to go that route.

You can mount it off of the transmission I’ve seen guys remove the pto covers and bolt steel plates over the holes and weld there mounts to the plates. U could also remove that rear cross member and use your propeller mount. On mine my adapter had a mount on the botttom. For my linkage it’s just the stock linkage with a threaded hole bored into a piece of flat bar. I drilled one hole deeper into the flat bar to make it sit even on the side of the Tranny and threaded the post is off of the side of my old Toyota 4spd threaded into the flat bar.
Yeah, I have to remove that rear frame crossmember because I can't get the transmission jacked up and level. It's hitting that bar. I thought I would cut it out and move it back but do you think I could just use the propeller in it's place? Would that be okay structurally?

Do you know when AA went to the 5" adapters like you have? I cannot find anything on here or the entire internet about a 7" adapter.

That mount you have is a bit fugly I’m not a fan of it bolted to that spot on the tcase but it should work that’s pretty much like mine but instead it bolts to the adapter. And I put my crossbar flat against the bottom of frame rails and ran a long bolt through the frame no bracket welded to bottom frame.
Do you have any pictures how yours looks? My brother came up with an idea for one but we haven't made anything yet.

I was going through pictures on here and see how you have yours set up. Does your AA adapter have bolt holes in it so you could use that isolator on your crossmember? Mine has nothing on it.

1AFD628B-49FE-4F51-B4CE-5E9EC6A3DA04.jpeg

Here's what mine looks like from underneath...Nowhere to mount like yours has.

7B9E57CC-6BA8-4D46-963A-CA4460479FE0.jpeg

Wow! That looks really good. Probably out of my skill level. What kind of plate adapter do you have? Next time I have to drop the transmission I want to go that route.
So bear in mind I haven’t actually done this, but I don’t think it would be to hard. Like @pbgbottle said make a couple plates to replace the pto covers, weld some “arms” from plate to plate and mount them to a crossmember and attach it to the frame. You’ll need to isolate the vibration and allow some flex, but that shouldn’t be to hard. The write up I found looks really good, but I’m not sure it needs to be that fancy for a wheeler.
i have a concept in my head that’ll incorporate a skid plate as well, but other things keep jumping in line...

Last edited:
Yeah, I have to remove that rear frame crossmember because I can't get the transmission jacked up and level. It's hitting that bar. I thought I would cut it out and move it back but do you think I could just use the propeller in it's place? Would that be okay structurally?

Do you know when AA went to the 5" adapters like you have? I cannot find anything on here or the entire internet about a 7" adapter.
Some go without the crossmember but most just modify it or move it back. I’m not sure when they changed the adapter but I’ve had mine for close to 20-25 years. 😳.

Some go without the crossmember but most just modify it or move it back. I’m not sure when they changed the adapter but I’ve had mine for close to 20-25 years. 😳.
Dang! Mine must be an antique!

Do you remember what size bolt goes into the bosses on the side of the SM465? Mines so far back, I can only use that last boss. I’ll have to try to make it as stable as possible. Maybe I can rig up a plate to one of the forward ones. This picture is showing it’s at the very back of the transmission.

F7F48FAB-B7C1-43D3-B9DB-788739277D1A.jpeg

I was going through pictures on here and see how you have yours set up. Does your AA adapter have bolt holes in it so you could use that isolator on your crossmember? Mine has nothing on it.

View attachment 2615530
Yes mine had the mount molded into the adapter for mounting a crossmember You need longer flat bar to make a mount for your shifter linkage.

Yes mine had the mount molded into the adapter for mounting a crossmember You need longer flat bar to make a mount for your shifter linkage.
Do you have any idea what size bolts fit in the holes on the side of the transmission? I have gone through every one I can find and that tractor supply has in stock. None fit.

Well, sorry for the long thread on here. Maybe it was helpful to someone. I cannot do this swap. The long adapter pushes everything back way too far. The engine is unlevel and I can’t go any higher with the drivetrain. I’m going to disassemble it all and go back to the 3 speed transmission and case that was in it. Thanks for all the tips and info.

DF0ADF63-D3E9-4158-9E43-C9099F3DAE85.jpeg

F70C2514-0863-45F9-9015-48A8A44C7AC5.jpeg

After taking everything out and disassembling everything, I think I want to go forward with the swap but with Plan B. Since I can’t move the motor because of all the stuff I’d have to move, I think I’m going to try a shorter plate adapter. I think I may be able to make that work.
Does anybody know a machine shop that could drill and tap the output shaft on the SM465 in the Greenville, SC area?

Do you have a plate adapter. ? I’ve seen guys do it themselves heat the end to soften ,I guess shaft is hardened once hot drill the end yourself and tap it
I’ve heard of guys doing it but I have never tried. I think the plate is going to be hard to find also. A few guys on mud have done some production runs of the plate adapter for the sm465. But not in a long time. Cool with going forward with your conversion. Might be easier to get a plate adapter for a SM420 though
A Local shop to me. Runs some adapter plate kits once in awhile.
EBI landcrusier parts. Or google extreme bends. But his plate is for the SM420

Cheers

Here is an old thread on the sm465 plate adapter if you haven’t seen it
I wish I had got in on this group order ,, but I was to cheap at the time to pull the trigger.

,,,l

Do you have a plate adapter. ? I’ve seen guys do it themselves heat the end to soften ,I guess shaft is hardened once hot drill the end yourself and tap it
I’ve heard of guys doing it but I have never tried. I think the plate is going to be hard to find also. A few guys on mud have done some production runs of the plate adapter for the sm465. But not in a long time. Cool with going forward with your conversion. Might be easier to get a plate adapter for a SM420 though
A Local shop to me. Runs some adapter plate kits once in awhile.
EBI landcrusier parts. Or google extreme bends. But his plate is for the SM420

Cheers
Thanks for the info. I think I have sourced a plate adapter. If I get it, I’m trying this again. I think the 7” I’ll save will get me where I can do this. If not I’ll have the original 3 speed with new gaskets and seals to go in its place. And thanks for all the other info. Hopefully I can get this knocked out in a few weeks. The weather is getting good for some cruisin here in SC.

I applaud your perseverance with your FJ40 👏

Thanks! It’s been a learning experience. I’m still a terrible mechanic but more knowledgeable than I was when I first got my FJ.
That’s how many of us start. I had done brakes and struts before hand. Now I don’t know any better than to mess it up myself. Couple guys at work poke fun at my mistakes, but I figure it hasn’t killed me yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom