1973 FJ40 SM465 Swap (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I have the plate adapter now and I am getting the transmission shaft tapped. I took the AA spud shaft out of the TC and there are two gears and some spacers in there when you take it out. Do I just pull the gear that is at the rear of the case out and discard it? That would be the PTO gear I think because it doesn't move any other gears, just spins on it's own. The front of the case gear is what slides onto the SM465 shaft and then you put the big washer and bolt in to hold that on? Then there's a big open space at the back of the TC. Do you take that rear bearing out too? I was wondering that because if there is not a shaft going out the rear of the TC, there's no reason for that to be there. I guess you could leave it if you ever go to a different setup?

SC Forester Im still holding the last SM465 shift plate I have for you. You still want it? Ebay did away with paying sellers with paypal so I have no where to sell them other than mud. Let me know Im hanging on to it for you. $24 plus the small flat rate priority ride of $8.45?
Shipmag

SC Forester Im still holding the last SM465 shift plate I have for you. You still want it? Ebay did away with paying sellers with paypal so I have no where to sell them other than mud. Let me know Im hanging on to it for you. $24 plus the small flat rate priority ride of $8.45?
Shipmag
Can you send a picture of what it looks like? I have one that came with my adapter I bought awhile back. Thanks!

Can you send a picture of what it looks like? I have one that came with my adapter I bought awhile back. Thanks!

i went to my computer and figured a way to do it.

4 speed sm465.JPG

i went to my computer and figured a way to do it.

View attachment 2688117
Send paypal to louhagler@msn.com $24.00 usd for each plate i can fit multiple plates in a small flat usps priority box for $8.45 usd for shipping inside the USA. Add $4.31 usd if you decide to not send the paypal as a gift. Paypal me additional charges of $4.31 usd otherwise. Be sure in the memo field to add

Your name
Shipping address
City, state and zip code
Your email address
Your mud name
Product you are wanting.

I will send the USPS tracking number once I receive the full paypal amount.

So I have the plate adapter now and I am getting the transmission shaft tapped. I took the AA spud shaft out of the TC and there are two gears and some spacers in there when you take it out. Do I just pull the gear that is at the rear of the case out and discard it? That would be the PTO gear I think because it doesn't move any other gears, just spins on it's own. The front of the case gear is what slides onto the SM465 shaft and then you put the big washer and bolt in to hold that on? Then there's a big open space at the back of the TC. Do you take that rear bearing out too? I was wondering that because if there is not a shaft going out the rear of the TC, there's no reason for that to be there. I guess you could leave it if you ever go to a different setup?
The machine shop still has my transmission. They are having to get a custom-made carbide 9/16" tap made which is taking some time. It's going to be very expensive too. So, in the meantime I took the AA adapter off the TC and removed the spud shaft. The spud shaft connected to the TC gear and the PTO (at the back of the case). Obviously I am leaving the TC gear in because that is what will go onto the 10 spline transmission output shaft. I know I take the PTO gear out. Do I take the bearing out at the back of the case too? I would guess that I would have to because there is no shaft to hold it in place now. That may be a dumb question but I just wanted to make sure. Here is a pic pic looking in from the side. The PTO gear is circled. Also including a pic of the bearing. I guess the only thing that is sealing and holding the gear oil in is the cone cover on the back of the TC. I think I am going to use the AA crossmember too so that scares me a bit if that's the only thing sealing everything up back there.

TC PTO Gear.jpg

TC PTO 2.jpg

TC Bearing.jpg

The machine shop still has my transmission. They are having to get a custom-made carbide 9/16" tap made which is taking some time. It's going to be very expensive too. So, in the meantime I took the AA adapter off the TC and removed the spud shaft. The spud shaft connected to the TC gear and the PTO (at the back of the case). Obviously I am leaving the TC gear in because that is what will go onto the 10 spline transmission output shaft. I know I take the PTO gear out. Do I take the bearing out at the back of the case too? I would guess that I would have to because there is no shaft to hold it in place now. That may be a dumb question but I just wanted to make sure. Here is a pic pic looking in from the side. The PTO gear is circled. Also including a pic of the bearing. I guess the only thing that is sealing and holding the gear oil in is the cone cover on the back of the TC. I think I am going to use the AA crossmember too so that scares me a bit if that's the only thing sealing everything up back there.

View attachment 2707507

View attachment 2707508

View attachment 2707509

View attachment 2707507

View attachment 2707508

View attachment 2707509
Well, I guess I’m done...Can’t get the shaft tapped. I finally found a machine shop that would attempt it, spent $300 and the custom made carbide tap broke. They were able to drill the 9/16” hole but said they cannot tap it because it’s too hard. It’s not encased in hardened steel. It’s made of hardened steel. Here’s a couple pictures of my $300 hole drilled into the transmission that apparently cannot be tapped.

I’m just going to put the Toyota 3 speed back in it. Thanks for all the replies and advice.

0479857C-3FBF-480D-8BF3-0A8AF5A3F4CC.jpeg

DD9BE8D1-D5C3-4CA2-9314-668E3BE2DAEC.jpeg

I also made some cradle mounts for the transmission. I bought and didn’t like the propeller mount so I made the cradle. I have one sitting in the garage and will attempt to earn a little cruiser by sending it to you for the actual price of shipping if you continue the swap. For what it’s worth the SM465 is waaaaaay better than the 3 speed.

The shop that did mine had me buy a gun tap. It was expensive but worked perfectly. I gave it to a local cruiserhead doing the same swap.
Okay, I may be back in business! What is a gun tap and where can you get one?

I also made some cradle mounts for the transmission. I bought and didn’t like the propeller mount so I made the cradle. I have one sitting in the garage and will attempt to earn a little cruiser by sending it to you for the actual price of shipping if you continue the swap. For what it’s worth the SM465 is waaaaaay better than the 3 speed.
Thanks! I have a propeller crossmember, actually a couple. Or are you saying you have a different type you'd sell?

The shop that did mine had me buy a gun tap. It was expensive but worked perfectly. I gave it to a local cruiserhead doing the same swap.
Did it work for you? I am guessing it did. Did you do it yourself using a tap handle? I still want to give it a try. The machine shop at least got a 9/16" hole drilled in it about 1.5" deep.

It was a special tap for Gun Smiths used for super hard steel. I don’t remember the specifics. They used the tap to thread the hole and then gave it back to me.
Do you remember how much it was? I am trying to find something similar.

So here’s a thought, probably a dumb one...since there’s a 9/16” hole drilled in it, what if I welded the $&@! out of a 9/16” bolt with the top cut off into the hole? It would essentially make it a stud that I could put a locking nut on. Is that a crazy idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom