1973 FJ40 New Project

Pighead

Stop calling it an FJ
This picture is to ask you fellas what you think of the master cylinder reservoirs. The rubber caps don't seal at all and there's basically no fluid in the brake system. Should I try to source just the reservoirs, or is it worth getting a whole new master cylinder unit?

View attachment 2809242
Those are rebuildable, sometimes. Take it apart, look at the bore.
I like patina as much as the next guy, I'd probably get a new master and reservoirs.

Shark56

SILVER Star
On the fuel pump leak. Check your oil by smell and see if it smells like gasoline. Sounds like the pump diaphragm failed. Often, it will allow fuel into the oil pan. The OEM pump is available and a couple vendors on here sell them.

Did anyone mention the dealer emblem? Would keep that. When I bought my 73 FST it had a hard top and doors from a 72. Believe it's the hatch that has a dealer'semblem from Missouri on it. Luckily the FST bows and doors were inside.

Efjayforty

SILVER Star
Beautiful truck and beautiful scenery. I saw the tag on your truck. Sioux county? I spent a few days at Fort Rob this summer. Love the area. Good luck with the truck.

I seriously scored today, the last day I had at my family's ranch before I have to go back to my normal grind.

Had a gut feeling to go back to the barn where the Cruiser had been parked for so long, did some digging, and managed to find the tire carrier with the washers, castle nuts, and cotter pins tied on to it with twine. I think my grandfather must have taken it off decades ago to make it easier to fix fence and do chores. Such a great day!

PXL_20211016_011829785.jpg

Website
instagram.com
I am new to the world of FJ40s. I always thought they were awesome, but I thought one would be unobtainable as popular and as rare as they are getting. Fortunately, I found out this old family owned '73 was available and I was able to purchase it from a family member. It has been in an old shed and probably hasn't run for nearly 20 years and it is rough. But I'm hoping I can nurse it back to life within the week and get it moved to another location under its own power. I have a little experience with old pickups, so I am hopeful I can get it running with my Dad's help.

I have tons of questions about this vehicle, but I have been trying to read on this forum a little before I post any up. If anyone reads through this, I'd be happy for any advice or tips with these old trucks.

My goal is for it to just get it running reliably and license it. I doubt I will take it off the family ranch much. Maybe an occasional trip to town down gravel roads. I don't have a small fortune to put into it (wish I could restore it to a pristine condition but that won't happen soon) so I'm hoping I can tinker away, tune things up, and just get it reliable. I don't even really want to lift it at this time (if ever) but a new top, door skins (or metal doors), and redone seats would be next basic things once it's running.

View attachment 2806407

View attachment 2806408

View attachment 2806409

View attachment 2806410

View attachment 2806411
You've got quite a jem, man! I have a 73 in the same color. But yours is a soft top, which is rare... I recommend you keep it that way! Good luck with it! Congrats on the find.

You've got quite a jem, man! I have a 73 in the same color. But yours is a soft top, which is rare... I recommend you keep it that way! Good luck with it! Congrats on the find.
Thank you! I absolutely want to keep it a soft top now that I'm starting to understand just what it is. And I don't want to molest it. I just want to fix it and drive it. I want it to retain it's original character as much as possible.

Website
instagram.com
Thank you! I absolutely want to keep it a soft top now that I'm starting to understand just what it is. And I don't want to molest it. I just want to fix it and drive it. I want it to retain it's original character as much as possible.
God bless you for saying this. Tell me why so many guys want to cut these trucks up and throw out the original drivetrains 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom