1973 FJ40 - need help with starter wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, first time poster. I'm helping a friend with a project FJ40; he brought it with him when he moved to my state. Unfortunately, the previous mechanic mucked up the wiring really bad all over when they swapped the engine: twisted-together wires, electrical tape, and of course the little extensions they made are all the wrong colors so I'm having trouble tracing the wires.

This is going to be a long-term project, but the current issue is that during transport whatever wiring was connected to the starter seems to have fallen off and I can't figure out what should hook up to where. It currently has the original-style starter; we bought a 60-series GR starter but right now we just need to get the original powered up so we can move the truck into the garage.

Can anybody with the original-style starter post some pictures showing which wires hook up? Here're some pics of the garbage on the car right now if you guys can help correlate:

3rFWzEP.jpg

EwlTIx7.jpg

Og0M0fs.jpg

0AniTtZ.jpg

Thanks in advance!

@insightbrewery, You should post month/year & U.S. or import of the LC you are working on so others can offer more tailored assistance. It looks like a 2F motor. The motor serial # is the flat spot protruding above starter in last pic. Welcome BTW.

You wern't kidding about that wiring being a mess!
The first pic you posted has two Black wires with a White stripes. The larger one should have +12V on it when the key is turned all the way to the start position. It needs to be connected to the starter ST terminal. The other Black/White can be left disconnected. The third wire should be black and should go to the distributor.
The next two pics show a large gauge soldid white wire with a male connector. That is where the fusible link should plug in. The other end of the fusible link goes go to the battery positive terminal. That wire spliced in currently to the white wire should be going to the battery positive terminal to provide power to the truck. You are missing the fusible link. I sell those if you want one.

Hi guys, first time poster. I'm helping a friend with a project FJ40; he brought it with him when he moved to my state. Unfortunately, the previous mechanic mucked up the wiring really bad all over when they swapped the engine: twisted-together wires, electrical tape, and of course the little extensions they made are all the wrong colors so I'm having trouble tracing the wires.

This is going to be a long-term project, but the current issue is that during transport whatever wiring was connected to the starter seems to have fallen off and I can't figure out what should hook up to where. It currently has the original-style starter; we bought a 60-series GR starter but right now we just need to get the original powered up so we can move the truck into the garage.

Can anybody with the original-style starter post some pictures showing which wires hook up? Here're some pics of the garbage on the car right now if you guys can help correlate:

3rFWzEP.jpg

EwlTIx7.jpg

Og0M0fs.jpg

0AniTtZ.jpg

Thanks in advance!
Did you get your vehicle started? If so p,ease post the coil and ballast wire pictures. I have a ‘73 and everything is not like the diagrams @nd schematics posted here.

@livesnake: It would be best if you started a separate thread to keep from confusing this one. Post some pics of what you currently have installed for your ignition in that thread. Then we can better help you figure out your issue.

You wern't kidding about that wiring being a mess!
The first pic you posted has two Black wires with a White stripes. The larger one should have +12V on it when the key is turned all the way to the start position. It needs to be connected to the starter ST terminal. The other Black/White can be left disconnected. The third wire should be black and should go to the distributor.
The next two pics show a large gauge soldid white wire with a male connector. That is where the fusible link should plug in. The other end of the fusible link goes go to the battery positive terminal. That wire spliced in currently to the white wire should be going to the battery positive terminal to provide power to the truck. You are missing the fusible link. I sell those if you want one.

TY Coolerman - your advice got it cranking!

Apologies for the late reply friends, didn't have a chance to get to it until today. I removed some of those mickey-mouse splices and wrapped up with fiberglass harness tape for now - the splice in the white wire is a random fusible link, but I will definitely be interested in getting one from you.

Next up is to:

a) figure out why there's no fuel coming out of the hose (I don't see a fuel filter anywhere, so I guess rust in the tank/lines), and retrofit a fuel filter
b) replace the starter with a GR unit
c) clean up the wiring around that area.

Thanks again!

@insightbrewery, You should post month/year & U.S. or import of the LC you are working on so others can offer more tailored assistance. It looks like a 2F motor. The motor serial # is the flat spot protruding above starter in last pic. Welcome BTW.

fireman,

Apologies for the late reply. I think this is a U.S-market truck, and I think that it's a 10/73 build date (by the chart I found somewhere on these forums). Might be a 9/73? Does that mean it's a 1974 model year or 1973? The VIN is FJ40163094. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom