1973 fj40 installing a new locking key barrel.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This thing has taken up so much of my time in the last two days! If you look at a pic of it, there is a thin wire retainer that slips in the divits that are to the retainer wire......I even went to home depot to get some tool that I think will help...This is a two man job...Last night, I put the barrel in the hole, only one way it can go it, used a bit of silicon and taped over it, as that was the issue, only two hands! Funny looking Jap designed clip that must fit through an upper handle hole, it does go in......There has to be some tricks that others have tried for this? 73' fj40. I haven't tried a small clamp to hold it still as of yet, but I don't think that will work....Then, there are notes on the item...If when you turn the key to lock it and the key wont come out, take the barrel out and turn something 180 degrees...Do What? well, I am looking in to what they are talking about. I am not about to do it twice after six hours yesterday.......

I am putting the key and barrel into the opening mechanism and locking it with the key..It will lock, but the key will not come out! Just like they describe........NOt going to even try and put it in until I figure this part out.....Nothing came with the part as far as installation or warning about the key or 180 derees......If anyone has done this before, you sure could help a brother out! Was there a trick to the little keeper wire that fits in the grooves to hold it in place? I am pulling my hair out! Sounded like it would be really easy! I appreciate any help for anyone....I know there is a member of Arizona Copper Cruisers that is a guru, but I cant remember where his shop is in mesa Arizona, just that it was a tool company....He knew his stuff about FJ40s. All I would have to do is to take it down to him to look at...I KNOW HE WILL KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT, THIIS, " if WHEN YOU LOCK IT, AND THE KEY DOESNT COME OUT YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT BACK OUT AND DO SOMETHING WITH TURNING SOMETHING 180 DEGREES.

Also, there has to be a trick to get the wire keeper for the barrel in place.....There is limited space and small holes....I know I must use the upper hole for the outside door handle.....
I would like to go down there and see what he is working on lately! He always has something cool he is modifying. I have also, installed the proportioning valve for the four disc brakes to control the pressure to the rear discs......I have yet to adjust the valve! I know, I need someone to watch as I get up to 25mph and hit the brakes just to the point of the front tires locking up first! I think I need some gravel for this.

If anyone knows the two guys in Mesa with the shop they work out of, that has Tools in their name, would you please, please....Let me know....I hope he sees this post! Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom