1973 FJ40 Hood Ornament / Spear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We are rebuilding a 1973 FJ40.

I never thought about it but it looks like at one point it had a hood ornament. I have seen FJ's that have the "Spear" hood ornament. The problem is that this hood only has 2 holes, and the spear required 3.

I also found out that the spear was only used from 1958-1971.

See the pic of the hood below - Any thoughts?

20210420_151444_1.jpg

Or add an ornament of your choice
1618951498771.png

Yes, the FJ 40 up to '71 had The Beautiful Land Cruiser Chrome Nose. Some PO apparently had a personalized hood ornament on your hood.

The purpose of the hood ornament was to help the driver align the right/left side of the vehicle with the right/left edge of the road. Not only are they no longer used, most cars you can’t even see the front hood at all.

On my 65 FJ45 the PO drilled a hole thru ornament and hood and mounted a footman trophy of a quarterback throwing a football. PO had died and bought the truck from his bother. When the PO went in to a nursing home the truck sat for years. He refused to sell figuring he would be able to use it again. Took the brother a year of probate after his death to gain title. They left all his personal property in the truck. Still have a few of the more interesting items.

Another interesting fact about the factory hood ornament some were steel and others were pot metal. Probably have a few still on vehicles to figure which are older and which ones are newer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom