1973 FJ40 Head rest? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Little search brought up pictures of the correct headrests for 73-75 models
DSC_0440.JPG
IMG_00002148.jpg
1667407121474.png

@Living in the Past Ah yes....the illusive unicorn of headrests. 😁 So does anyone actually have one of these mythical creatures in their possession? I'm sure I couldn't afford it, but maybe I could attempt to recreate it? I've been designing it in my head and have ideas but I'm wondering if someone on here actually owns one or two of these that could provide pictures and dimensions?

I have the 'unicorn' headrests on my rig. Bought them from Mud classifieds, iirc.

They are just slightly different than the later ones, as far as center-to-center on the space between posts. Probably easier to just do later seats (my headrest doesn't match (too much environmental wear), particularly if you already are planning on a three-point-seatbelt-look?

@Living in the Past Ah yes....the illusive unicorn of headrests. 😁 So does anyone actually have one of these mythical creatures in their possession? I'm sure I couldn't afford it, but maybe I could attempt to recreate it? I've been designing it in my head and have ideas but I'm wondering if someone on here actually owns one or two of these that could provide pictures and dimensions?

Hard to believe a cruiser that a PO butchered the dash like this could still have all the treasures still with it. Even came with the radio delete plate.
IMG_20200923_120956535.jpg

I removed the headrests shortly after buying it in 1994. They are stored in the climate controlled environment. Will be a while until I have access to them.

Thanks @JohnnyC ......you're way faster than me. My search hadn't brought up anything yet.

Did you find the exact thread I was thinking of? The person had taken good pictures that showed measurements and everything. I've got the upholstery shop fixing a small tear in my passenger seat and I had him order enough material to do two headrests to match. I just need to find headrests.
Thank you for the tip! Got these for $42.00 on ebay. 1994 Heep Cherokee head rests.

FJheadrests.jpeg

@ChaseBoost Those look pretty dang good. The material looks like it almost matches too. Did you figure out what Jeep models/years would work on the JF40 seats (post dimension)? A quick search for "jeep cherokee headrests" shows they COULD be the same from 1984-1996 but that's trusting an ebay listing.....

@ChaseBoost Those look pretty dang good. The material looks like it almost matches too. Did you figure out what Jeep models/years would work on the JF40 seats (post dimension)? A quick search for "jeep cherokee headrests" shows they COULD be the same from 1984-1996 but that's trusting an ebay listing.....
Yes, that’s what the listing for these labeled as year models. They did not slide right in. Took some wiggling but nothing that led me to believe I damaged anything in the process. Cleaning up the prongs and a light coat of lubricant would have helped. Found a lot on eBay but these are a good match to the material.

@Grayscale and @Living in the Past It's good to know that unicorns do exist. 😁 I doubt I'll ever see them in person, but I'll always pay attention to FJ40 headrests from this point forward.

@Living in the Past I like switches as much as the next guy but there's got to be a limit. LOL That looks like the cockpit of an SR-71 Blackbird!
Yeah I ended up finding mine by the piece and not as a set. Just found 2 random mudders getting rid of a single headrest so I think they are slightly cheaper that way, but only slightly if at all.

I will post dimensions of the head rests and posts this evening. Knowing that helps a lot.

Cool Cruisers sells a rear bench seat that comes with head rests that also fit the front bucket seats. That makes them expensive head rests, but they throw in a free flip up rear bench seat for no extra charge!

@ChaseBoost Any luck with the Heep Cherokee headrest post dimensional?
Apologies for the delay. Had a family member pass away. The holes in the FJ seat are a little far aprt but they fit. I sanded the posts, sanded the inside of the posts the most and applied a light coat of WLG. They slid in fine after that.
On an unrelated note- If anyone has come get tool they could loan out I would appreciate it. PM me and we can discuss it.
3BD37B8B-CFDE-4028-A782-A02373AE7238.jpeg

0833C349-28E5-4779-AA06-C762614E6F64.jpeg

D56D53A6-CAF6-46AF-8169-F009698990B2.jpeg

EEABFAF4-0D91-4E94-84B6-3732B1E44FFD.jpeg

So sorry for your loss.
Thank you! Unfortunately the headrest brackets on my 72 FJ40 have 8” spacing.
The search continues.

Sorry for you loss.

Thank you for the pics and info. I'll measure my seats tonight. Based on the first picture you posted I'm guessing your FJ40 is a later model than mine (1973) so I'm wondering if my post holes are completely different spacing. I'll post my info this evening.

Thank you! Yes mine is a 78. Edit to my post earlier, if anyone has a centering tool they are willing to loan out please PM me for details.

Thank you for your Info, I’ve been looking for headrest also, Now I know we’re to look, this is a pic on my FJ55 post holes Looks like that will work for me

E1BE219F-8A22-488C-AD0A-815E7B06DF83.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom