1973 FJ40 Head rest?

I would really like to put head rests on the factory seats in my 1973 FJ40 but apparently they are unobtainium. I think I came across a thread on here where someone found a pair of headrests that had the right post spacing and diameter to fit the factory holes in my seats but I'll be darned if I can find it now. Anyone have any ideas on what headrests I can use (make/model/year)? Or maybe someone has a pair of factory ones they would get rid of for less than the cost of a new set of tires? 😁

Thanks.

Here's a pic for reference. I've got the holes for the head rests but they are capped.....

Also, to clarify, I'm not expecting to find an EXACT replica of the original headrest, but I would like to find on that looks correct. In other words....no speakers or fanch push buttons or crazy features a new vehicle would have.

fj40-4.jpg

Last edited:
i just found it was a 626..... and also 95 Heep Cherokee
Thanks @JohnnyC ......you're way faster than me. My search hadn't brought up anything yet.

Did you find the exact thread I was thinking of? The person had taken good pictures that showed measurements and everything. I've got the upholstery shop fixing a small tear in my passenger seat and I had him order enough material to do two headrests to match. I just need to find headrests.

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
these are the two i found.... good info here on second one:

V8FJ4078

SILVER Star
Anyone know where you can find the plastic rings that the head rests go into? I have a few broken ones...

So I read through both those threads you listed @JohnnyC and it got me thinking....which years are the same as my 73? I know the 1973 fj40 is kinda an odd duck, but do the headrests fall in the same "one-year-only" category as my reverse light? Hoping someone has some accurate information....

So I read through both those threads you listed @JohnnyC and it got me thinking....which years are the same as my 73? I know the 1973 fj40 is kinda an odd duck, but do the headrests fall in the same "one-year-only" category as my reverse light? Hoping someone has some accurate information....

73-75 were different than the 76-78. 76-78 are much more common. Believe the 73-75 was a rarer option making them harder to find. All seats came ready to install head rests during this time. Those without headrests came plugs in the openings. Those generally went MIA over the years. Lucky yours still had the plugs. Got lucky my 73 still came with the head rests. Very common to have the opening covered up when seat get new upholstery. 9/72-1/79 fit the same.

JohnnyC

Long ago TLCA# 2231
Anyone know where you can find the plastic rings that the head rests go into? I have a few broken ones...

Like like these?

I would also try sor they will have them

And try wanted in classified section for cheaper than cp or sor

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
Website
www.marksoffroad.net

V8FJ4078

SILVER Star
Like like these?

I would also try sor they will have them

And try wanted in classified section for cheaper than cp or sor
Thanks! I didn't see them when I searched, but should have included "grommet".

Thanks for the great info @Living in the Past. I appreciate the link to your ad @65swb45 but I'm not quite to the point of dropping that kinda dough on them. I'm sure yours are worth it but I've depleted my FJ40 budget for the time being. Your ad says 73-78....but are the the 73-75 model or the 76-78 model? Just curious.

2004-2007 Highlander 3rd row. They look a little goofy but they work quite well on my '75 (which has seats that appear the same as the OP's pics). They were cheap. And they're Toyota, to boot.

If you're talking about the bezels/grommets at the top of the seatback, they can be removed without damaging them:

@jembourbe thanks for the specific model of headrest that will work. For me, since my FJ40 is SO original and stock, I really want to find a headrest that appears similar to the original style. I found a pair of the 2004-7 highlander 3rd row headrests on ebay and although the posts might fit dimensionally into my factory stock seats, the headrest design definitely wouldn't look like it would have come with the vehicle in 1973. The info is great however because I can likely find one of those year of highlander in a wrecking yard and snag a 3rd row headrest to use as a template for fit.

I'll keep digging/looking. When I come across something that looks right and works with my seats I'll be sure to post the info to this thread.

@jembourbe thanks for the specific model of headrest that will work. For me, since my FJ40 is SO original and stock, I really want to find a headrest that appears similar to the original style. I found a pair of the 2004-7 highlander 3rd row headrests on ebay and although the posts might fit dimensionally into my factory stock seats, the headrest design definitely wouldn't look like it would have come with the vehicle in 1973. The info is great however because I can likely find one of those year of highlander in a wrecking yard and snag a 3rd row headrest to use as a template for fit.

I'll keep digging/looking. When I come across something that looks right and works with my seats I'll be sure to post the info to this thread.
I hear you. Mine's (mostly) all original as well and very true to the window sticker, but keeping it -- with true fidelity -- to the condition it was in when it rolled off the dealer lot requires risking whiplash in a rear-end collision. lol

V8FJ4078

SILVER Star
If you're talking about the bezels/grommets at the top of the seatback, they can be removed without damaging them:

Yes, I know how to get them out, and had them out 20 years ago when recovered them last time, they were so brittle so some were already broke.

hobbes

SILVER Star
73-75 were different than the 76-78. 76-78 are much more common. Believe the 73-75 was a rarer option making them harder to find. All seats came ready to install head rests during this time. Those without headrests came plugs in the openings. Those generally went MIA over the years. Lucky yours still had the plugs. Got lucky my 73 still came with the head rests. Very common to have the opening covered up when seat get new upholstery. 9/72-1/79 fit the same.
I had my seats recovered. I forgot to look to see if they had the hardware. This tidbit that these years have the hardware already has renewed my interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom