1973 FJ40 Door Stop Kit Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We have a 1973 FJ40 with mismatched doors. I think that the doors are pre 1974 since they have metal skin on the inside.

I was looking for a Door Stop Kit and the only one that i am seeing is from SOR and they are $70 each ($140 for the pair).

Our current doors had straps on them and they ripped the metal out. Also, the hinge where the OEM door straps went are damaged, we will have to fabricate / weld those on again.

Any other options out there. The guy that is helping us with the rebuild indicated that the strap door stops tend to rip out too easily.

Attached is a picture of what SOR is offering.

124-12-KIT-big.jpg

124-12-kiti-big.jpg

I just used some round stock (3/8"). I started by heating with a torch and flattening the end with a ball peen hammer. Bent the rod to the correct curvature then cut it to length. I threaded the non flattened end for the lock nut and drilled a hole in the flat end for the door pin. If I recall, I think I used rubber shock bushings I had laying around with fender washers for the stoppers. The door pins and nylon washers are from the hardware store.

This is the template posted by @fj404life. I was able to get the correct dimension by resizing to 608x395 pixels, you may get a different result. I've been using these about 12 years or so.

1656106886911.png

BTB products has them. I have a set of the SOR limiters, they are very nice but spendy. The ones I have installed currently are ones I made.

View attachment 3042289
I purchased a set of BTB ones when I was in Vegas. Well made and cheaper than the SOR ones. One was a direct bolt in because the door connection was OEM. I have another project on the list for the other door. I need to rebuild the door connector. I will fab a new metal piece just need to figure out if I want to ruin the paint by welding on the door.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom