1973 fj40 chrome handle left side of hump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I have a 1973 fj40 that has a 3 speed transmission and a long chrome handle that is attached to the hump on the driver's side , it's about a foot and half long
What does that lever do
TIA

Last edited:
crawl under the rig and take a peek.

That doesn't sound OEM. Maybe the PO did something funny with the parking brake? Maybe it's a driver seat ejection lever?

Post up some pics.

I've pulled it up to the center console and it seems to be an overdrive bc the rpms drop like it dropped into a higher gear

I've pulled it up to the center console and it seems to be an overdrive bc the rpms drop like it dropped into a higher gear

IMG_11971_20210804_155355.jpg

IMG_11971_20210804_155355.jpg

X2, I'm thinking an extra box under there

Looks similar to an old Hone-o-Drive shift lever. Look at the back of your transfer case for that type of overdrive.

I had to look that up

Please post a pic of the trans/transfer case! I would love to see whats going on under there.

Well thats cool as hell. I have never seen that before. What speed do you engage the overdrive?

Can use it in all gears. Would make you three speed a six speed. Generally use it in the top gear. Third gear in three speed. But if you climbing a hill and can't hold RPM in third gear but second will continue to raise RPM and only to lose it when shifting to third can use second in OD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom