1973 F Oil Delivery to Head - No Rocker Arm Tube? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great info here. I am rebuilding my 5/73 F engine and want to put a 2F oil pan on so that I can use a new oil pump. Honestly, the conversation is a bit sophisticated for my knowledge level. Can I just replace the pump and oil pan, or will I have to modify the rocker oil supply.
No other changes are necessary. Install updated oil pan and 2F pump w/ integrated pickup. There is a pressure relief in the new oil pump that blows off at about 60#, and there is the original F pressure relif on the outside of block that is usually set to open at 50#, so the overall system will still run at 50# with a redundant 60# relief in the pump.

Great info here. I am rebuilding my 5/73 F engine and want to put a 2F oil pan on so that I can use a new oil pump. Honestly, the conversation is a bit sophisticated for my knowledge level. Can I just replace the pump and oil pan, or will I have to modify the rocker oil supply.
I did the exact same rebuild recently... With a 5/73 motor as well. I recommend cutting the baffles in your factory oil pan. I'm running the original pan with a 2F pump... Works great and it's been a couple years so far. Sounds ghetto but it works.

No other changes are necessary. Install updated oil pan and 2F pump w/ integrated pickup. There is a pressure relief in the new oil pump that blows off at about 60#, and there is the original F pressure relif on the outside of block that is usually set to open at 50#, so the overall system will still run at 50# with a redundant 60# relief in the pump.
Figured it out, nvm.

58F41529-5EBB-4E47-99BB-A9582AE8595F.jpeg

Last edited:
I want to be 1000% sure there is no feed pipe needed here?

View attachment 2821131
Do you have a 1F or 2F? The 1F has a copper feed pipe that can found inside the push rod cover that snakes through an oil drain in the head, connecting a male flare nut connection to the union that connects the front and rear rocker arm assemblies. The 2F eliminated this pipe by running an oil passage through a rocker arm pillar into the rocker assembly. A 2F oil pump cannot be used on a 1F engine. Also, if you've got a 1F engine and purchased an ITM camshaft, they are ALMOST identical, BUT the the oil passage is drilled for the 2F motor and IS NOT drilled through the proper journal for the 1F. I bought one from a company who claims they've got all the parts you'll need, who advertises the same part number for both motors. I brought this to their attention and they basically told me it was TS.

Do you have a 1F or 2F? The 1F has a copper feed pipe that can found inside the push rod cover that snakes through an oil drain in the head, connecting a male flare nut connection to the union that connects the front and rear rocker arm assemblies. The 2F eliminated this pipe by running an oil passage through a rocker arm pillar into the rocker assembly. A 2F oil pump cannot be used on a 1F engine. Also, if you've got a 1F engine and purchased an ITM camshaft, they are ALMOST identical, BUT the the oil passage is drilled for the 2F motor and IS NOT drilled through the proper journal for the 1F. I bought one from a company who claims they've got all the parts you'll need, who advertises the same part number for both motors. I brought this to their attention and they basically told me it was TS.
Didn't FJ40Jim, in post #21, above, confirmed that a 2F oil pump can be installed in an F engine, as long as a 2F oil pan is installed? (or the baffles are modified, according to post #23.) Is there something else to know here?

Didn't FJ40Jim, in post #21, above, confirmed that a 2F oil pump can be installed in an F engine, as long as a 2F oil pan is installed? (or the baffles are modified, according to post #23.) Is there something else to know here?
It can be but you need to have a custom feed pipe made

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom