1973 cowl vent knob/rod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Engineer8000 Could you post the measurements of that beautiful vent rod in your picture? I'm going to try and bend up one using my current knob. If you would be so kind as to do a drawing with dimensions it would be awesome.

1670956536185.png

Last edited:
Thanks @73FJ40 (and @Living in the Past for the pic). So was that map light only available on the soft top version or was it an option for hard tops? Was it another one of the 1973 unicorn parts (like 73 headrests) or were there multiple years? I think it would be cool to add it but I'm guessing its another unobtanium part I can't justify.

The head rests were the same 73-75 but were an option making them much rarer. Back in the early eighties I bought a set of 74 buckets seats to install in my 68. Those still had the plugs filling the holes for the optional headrests. 72-74 most of the FJ40s imported to the US came with the hole for the Vader dash light and switch to operate it. This is a dash from a 73 hard top model a friend gave me when he parted outed the cruiser. This picture is from the back side but if you look out the outside of the glovebox you can see the hole for the light.
20211030_162111.jpg

These years also have footman loops on the back corner all models. Footman loops on my 73.
20211031_141055.jpg

As always, thanks for the great info @Living in the Past . I've got those same loops on my 73 so at least I don't have to source/buy those. LOL

I was under the impression that 73 headrests were a one year only deal. They have the "points" that are not like any other FJ40 headrest. Is that wrong?

I just noticed your "tailgate"?? Is that a soft top only deal? It looks just like my little swing out doors but yours folds down?! I've never seen or heard of that before. It honestly seems like a poor design because your license plate would get bent on the bumper hoops every time you lowered the tailgate....but maybe I'm missing something?

Last edited:
As always, thanks for the great info @Living in the Past . I've got those same loops on my 73 so at least I don't have to source/buy those. LOL

I was under the impression that 73 headrests were a one year only deal. They have the "points" that are not like any other FJ40 headrest. Is that wrong?

I just noticed your "tailgate"?? Is that a soft top only deal? It looks just like my little swing out doors but yours folds down?! I've never seen or heard of that before. It honestly seems like a poor design because your license plate would get bent on the bumper hoops every time you lowered the tailgate....but maybe I'm missing something?

The license plate clears the bumperettes on the back. Tailgates are only on factory soft tops. Early sixties factory soft tops had the barn doors a few imported. Starting with the 72 model tailgate/barn doors the center footman was gone in the middle of each side.

The headrest part number for 73-75 is the same. May have been more imported as a option in 73 not sure. Remember a 75 with the early style. 76-78 headrests are much easier to locate.

I have a 1980 BJ40 non USA that has Vintage AC/ Heat installed. Id like to get the cowl vent operating. I have all the parts including the knob and lever but the Vintage Air vent box blocks the below dash bracket from being utilized to house the pull knob and lever. Only idea I have is to drill hole in the radio delete plate, insert the grommet, and assemble the knob and lever thru it. Doesn't look so cool though. Any other ideas out there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom