1973 Clutch Master Cylinder Leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ40Savvy

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm having an issue with the Clutch Master cylinder weeping on the engine side of the firewall. I have checked to see it the "cap' is tight. Any suggestions on how to repair this issue. The Brake fluid is affecting the paint job. PO said that he rebuilt the cylinder. Is it as simple as removing the cap and replacing/installing the gasket (18)?

1624295689979.png

1624295722288.png

1624295933526.png

If I remember correctly it is a copper washer. I don't think you'll be able to find just the washer by itself. Copper work hardens so it's possible that the washer just won't compress seal properly. You could pull it out and anneal it to soften it up and then reinstall. To anneal just heat it up with a propane torch till it starts to glow then let it air cool, don't drop it in water.

If I remember correctly it is a copper washer. I don't think you'll be able to find just the washer by itself. Copper work hardens so it's possible that the washer just won't compress seal properly. You could pull it out and anneal it to soften it up and then reinstall. To anneal just heat it up with a propane torch till it starts to glow then let it air cool, don't drop it in water.
Thanks. I can pull the cap without all the fluid leaking out because part 16 correct?

Thanks. I can pull the cap without all the fluid leaking out because part 16 correct?
Not sure, it has been years since I swapped my MC out for newer 80 series. Put a catch pan under it and plan on needing to bleed it once back together.

Once you loosen the cap (part 19, the spring (part 11) will allow the fluid out as the seal is (part 18), where your leak is coming from. As byron said, just catch it all, then replace the seals. or just buy a new MC for 65$ and move on...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom