1973 California FJ40 Vacuum routing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lemoore, CA (south of Fresno) / Cortes Island, B.C
OK. I have no idea where this would attach but on my 8/73 FJ40, I have an EGR valve on the driver's side of the Carb that is not attached to anything. I know it runs on vacuum but I do not know what to attach it to. Does anyone know where it attaches or have a vacuum diagram for a 73 California smogged fj40 that I could get?

Thanks, Dan

EGR did not come on Cali-spec-ed cruisers until 9 of 73, and that would have been a tube coming out of an insulator in the midsection of the carb that ran to an EGR valve.

Perhaps on an 8 of 73 cruiser you are referring to the anti backfire valve?

65swb45 said:
EGR did not come on Cali-spec-ed cruisers until 9 of 73, and that would have been a tube coming out of an insulator in the midsection of the carb that ran to an EGR valve.

Perhaps on an 8 of 73 cruiser you are referring to the anti backfire valve?

that could be it. After getting the engine up to operating temp, I moved the valve back and forth and it had no impact on the engine RPMS. I need to look a lot closer and see what the PO did to the emissions.

slickrock said:
that could be it. After getting the engine up to operating temp, I moved the valve back and forth and it had no impact on the engine RPMS. I need to look a lot closer and see what the PO did to the emissions.

What did you use to 'move the valve back and forth'? ABV and EGR are valves that are operated by manifold vacuum and you can't see inside them to see the valves moving while they are installed.

Now I am thinking that since you are referring to something that is attached to the carb that you MIGHT be referring to the Throttle Positioner. Is your "EGR" valve attached to the carb by means of two screws in the airhorn, with a small tab sticking out the side of the valve on the backside of the carb with two pieces of linkage attached to it?:confused:

65swb45 said:
What did you use to 'move the valve back and forth'? ABV and EGR are valves that are operated by manifold vacuum and you can't see inside them to see the valves moving while they are installed.

Now I am thinking that since you are referring to something that is attached to the carb that you MIGHT be referring to the Throttle Positioner. Is your "EGR" valve attached to the carb by means of two screws in the airhorn, with a small tab sticking out the side of the valve on the backside of the carb with two pieces of linkage attached to it?:confused:

That is it. I had EGR stuck in my head for some reason.

slickrock said:
That is it. I had EGR stuck in my head for some reason.

:doh:

You can connect the throttle positioner to the port in the base of the carb on the outboard[driver's] side.

DomSmith said:

Diagram worked like a charm. Need to hook my throttle positioner up to the V.S.V thanks Dom, worked out great for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom