1973-1978 Steel Cup Holders (factory hardware install) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

corleykj

Jack of some, definately master of none.
Threads
MADE IN THE USA!
1973-1978 FJ40 Front Cupholders

This thread is for members to provide feedback on what features they would like in a cup holder or other metal products that directly bolt onto the factory FJ40's.

This cup holder comes in 14 gauge steel, comes with two plastic cup inserts, and installs using the factory bolts to the front of the center console/seat frame support.

Please stay tuned for more pictures, pricing and ordering information.

If you have suggestions of features you would like to see in this cupholder or similar items, please chime in. I will be making my first batch of front cupholders and shipping soon. Previous customers have purchased 12 volt chargers, 1/2" openings for aux light switches and heated seat controls.
I am open to any ideas that would help the MUD community.

fj40 cup holders 1.JPG

fj40 cupholders 5.JPG

fj40 cupholders 4.JPG

I really like it's simplicity and I want one. But if you are seeking input, here's an idea. When driving at night, that area is a very dark place and it might be difficult to target the cupholder easily without looking away from the road for a few seconds. What if you had an LED light in the middle or underneath shining down. Or what if the plastic was the glow-in-the-dark stuff. Just riffing on this.

Like it. Nice simple design that doesn't look booty-fabbed.

I'm trying to figure out how you install the bolts on this with the tiny amount of room between the round cupholder body and the flat bolting face. Could/should you make slots so that you can simply loosen the OEM front console bolts and slide your cupholder down over the OEM bolts and tighten with a box-end wrench? Might make installation less painful. Just a thought - you're the brain behind this.

Good idea. With the plastic cup inserts removed it allows some space for a 10mm socket on a short extension. The current holes are cut to allow the plastic inserts to fit well enough not to rattle, but a person can remove them to clean. I will mess around with the slot idea.

I didn't realize the cup inserts could be removed, but that's a great idea for both cleaning and ease of mounting.

What is the larger and smaller diameters of the cup inserts? Are they sized to hold a 12 oz. pop can and/or the next larger 'thing'?

I didn't realize the cup inserts could be removed, but that's a great idea for both cleaning and ease of mounting.

What is the larger and smaller diameters of the cup inserts? Are they sized to hold a 12 oz. pop can and/or the next larger 'thing'?
Great questions about the size. I will measure and get back to the thread. From my recollection the smaller inner circle holds a 12 oz can. The larger diameter holds a larger cup. I will take specific measurements and try taking some pictures with different water bottles.

I'll sign up for one.

Great questions about the size. I will measure and get back to the thread. From my recollection the smaller inner circle holds a 12 oz can. The larger diameter holds a larger cup. I will take specific measurements and try taking some pictures with different water bottles.
What about making the cup deeper to accommodate a larger 16/24oz bottle without it tipping? None of us are taking corners very fast but a little more depth might add to the stability.

Here are some pictures with a can and a coffee cup. I have not spilled in mine, but I only use normal size coffee cups (tall, but not huge). The upper diameter is 3 1/2". The lower diameter fits a 12 oz can with very little to spare. Thanks again for the ideas.

can in cup holder.JPG

coffee cup .JPG

cup holder top view.JPG

Good work @corleykj I’ve already got some cup holders but thanks for doing this.👍🎯

Thanks for all the feedback. I will keep working on some changes and get back with everyone.

I shipped out some cupholders to a mud member (who has been more than patient) and he should be chiming in with some feedback for changes in the coming weeks. I hope this thread will continue to provide some feedback so I can provide the best possible product. One question I have is about rear seat options;

How many FJ40 owners have factory rear jump seats?
How many FJ40 owners have a bench seat?

I shipped out some cupholders to a mud member (who has been more than patient) and he should be chiming in with some feedback for changes in the coming weeks. I hope this thread will continue to provide some feedback so I can provide the best possible product. One question I have is about rear seat options;

My '74 FJ40 (bought new in Dec '73. Oct '73 Build Date) has the factory rear jump seats.. I think I folded them down ONCE!!
Charles.

Bench seat in my 1970

I have both rear jump seats but don’t use.

Sent pm

I've got jump seats in my '74.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom