1972 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 complete resto/ upgrade from stock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not me just passing on a sweet rig
ebay link

1972 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40
BODY
*Body stripped down bead blasted and repainted factory Freeborn Red with all new Emblems,Weather stripping, lights and lenses.
*All bolts and fasteners replaced with Stainless steel hardware
*Hardtop and hard doors, soft top and soft doors, and bikini top
INTERIOR
*Roll Cage
*New front and rear seats
*New Sony CD player with waterproof speakers amplifier and Ipod control
*Garmin GPS
*Tuffy box
*Complete interior sanded and Pro-liner applied with lifetime warranty
*Custom rack that mounts on interior fenderwells
Drivetrain
*5.3 Vortec fuel injected engine with 6,500 miles complete with diagnostic plug
*Rebuilt Turbo 350 automatic transmission
*New Atlas 4.1 transfer case
*4-wheel disk brakes with new master cylinder and S/S brake lines
*New GM Power Steering pump and gearbox
*HD Custom built driveshafts
* New starter, water pump, fuel pump, custom built 5 core radiator, black magic HD electric fan, battery
FRONT AXLE
*456 Gears
*Detroit Locker
*LONGFIELDS with Lifetime warranty
*All new seals and gaskets
*New Power disk brakes
*Warn premium hubs
REAR AXLE
*456 Gears
*Detroit Locker
*Centered axle housing with mini truck axles
*All new seals, gaskets, and bearings
*New Power disk brakes
SUSPENSION, WHEELS, and TIRES
*Spring Over Lift with Rancho adjustable 9000 shocks
*35” BF Goodrich MT with 15”x10” white wagon wheels

ACCESSORIES
*Man-a-fre rear tire carrier
*HFS Front Bumper
*Warn 8274 upright winch
*Custom built Rocker panel guards
I have $43,500 invested in the FJ40.
%21BLq8GTQBWk%7E$%28KGrHgoH-EEEjlLlyg1NBJggMC8C0w%7E%7E_12.JPG

090f_12.JPG

0d24_12.JPG

0fdc_12.JPG

da78_12.JPG

ffd7_12.JPG

3a48_12.JPG

12c6_12.JPG

385f_12.JPG

e9e4_12.JPG

01a2_12.JPG

Located in Auburn, AL

All that money into the rig and the dood has a z-link? Come on... Beware other short cuts on this rig. A high steer setup is less than $400...

I have been looking at this LC, this is the 2nd time it has been listed. The 1st time the high bid was $17,100, the owner chose not to sell it at that price. I have some interest in this LC can you give me some guidence on other areas you view as cutting corners. I have spoken to the owner and he appears as a forthright guy, can you give me some other areas that you view as questionable. A great deal of the money in this LC is labor, because of all the fabrication that was done. I believe the owner told me that parts alone was $20,000, and I would assume that includes the original purchase price of the LC. This LC is in Alabama, and I am in California, I don't like the idea of making a purchase like this without the personal "touch" test. I do not believe the owner will sell it for less than $20,000 and thats a little more than I want to spend. I assume I am not violating any price discussions on this board, because this is not listed here.
Thanks for any guidence on the LC.

It is interesting how rusted up the bottom is when everything else is so polished. It makes me think that when they did the frame off, if they did, they didn't bother refinishing the bottom properly? There is usually some rust dust down there but that to me looks like a little more extensive that surface powder, particularly just north of the exhaust canister. Then again, I may be wrong.

i think i see to much rust under there also plus the picture where the shock is you can see where the frame looks like it was painted over and bumpy like rust or something under it. also look under the fender to the right of the shock check the red paint it does cover something up

Those photos don't seem to match the parts described in his write up. For one, that isn't a TH 350 Automatic Transmission.

Also, I am not sure how he got so much under carriage rust. Maybe they salt the roads where he lives? But I don't see how that one rear axle shot could possibly have that much rust on it still if he did a full frame-off and sandblasted it/repainted it.

Seriously though, I live in Cali too and am in the market for an FJ40. There are some really nice rigs for sale right now in the Sacramento/San Francisco area that are much less than what this guy is probably wanting with much higher quality build materials and almost zero rust.

Last edited:
in the pic of the steering link, upper left, look at the frame rail. that is not dirt. and that is also not a "restored" frame. looks like the frame rail on my all original 71. not good for what it claims. not at all.

Not sticking up for this guy !& IMO not worth 20K, but, coming from someone who restores Old cars, & builds Hot Rods & customs,,,,,,,,he states "restoration" not Frame-off, that's a real broad term, and from expereince,many folks , maybe this guy, just don't turn a wrench, & pay for labor & parts, pending on Shop rates, it's real easy to get big money in something ! This is a frame on, and didn't blast the underside, or the rails, they powder coated & painted all the parts added, "cleaned the rails, and for some dumb reason not the bottom ( might have run out of money or didn't see the need)Another 2 weeks labor would have stripped & blasted the rails & bottom ! Also Red is a good color to hide imperfections, in fact it's the best color, & Never buy a Fresh paint job, unless you know them or saw it stripped, not in this price range anyway, in the car circle it's called resale-red for a reason !

V-8 does not help value either. I did not even notice the rust until it was pointed out. WOW, there is allot of it. Damn shame, at first glance this is a beauty.......

Well this LC sold for $17,600, I did not notice the rust issue until you guys brought it up. I know it's a lot "trum" for a FJ40, but I do not think this seller was trying to con anyone. I believe the paint job was put on over 3 years ago so I think the paint would have started to show signs of bubbles. I am surprised that the rails and bottom were not blasted and sealed. I thank you board members for the observations...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom