1972 Pontiac Catalina - anything good on this? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My deceased grandmothers car down near Athens has been sitting and not run since...maybe 12+ years.

Is there anything good on this? Or should I give it away.

What is the procedure to try to turn a motor that sat this long?
I mean besides the obvious like gas. If I can get it running and it is like a 455 than I might want to drop the drivetrain and save for swap into Jasons samuri:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

None of those parts will fit on the bus. But I bet its got a big motor in it.

Put the motor in Jasons Postal Jeep. and an add a leaf to the fronts.

Its probably got a 400 in it. The best way to try to start it is the following.

Drain all old gas and put new in. Do this with all the fluids.
New battery check all connections.
pull all the spark plugs and put 1 teaspoon of oil in each cylinder.
disconnect the distributer and turn it over several times to blow out the excess oil and to lubicate the internals.
This is very short but you should get the idea.
Check for signs of critters living in the intake manifold and exhaust pipes.

BA

If you part it out there are several goodies you might wanna pull. The power steering box is probably the most desirable 4.25 turn Saginaw with a heavily boosted pump. A buddy of mine had one of those cars in high school; you could pilot that boat with one finger! Others might want the Quadrajet carb for a rebuild core as its from a non-smog car. The alternator is an easy swap into most Cruisers though there are more powerful stock alternators out there now. The motor (even a stuck motor) might be of interest to a Pontiac collector as a rebuildable core. Same with the trans since it is probably a TH400 with a BOP-specific bellhousing.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom