1972 iron pig, and an intro. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About 20 years ago I ended up buying a worn out Toyota FJ55 from a young man 2 towns over. He had done some questionable work and there was a lot that was either done poorly or not done at all. I was 17 and eager to go four wheeling so I got started on it with my dad. He sort of always wanted an all original restored 36 Packard but couldn't afford one. So his plan was to restore the Landcruiser to concourse winning original condition as if it were a 36 Packard.
Being 17, I just wanted to take girls 4 wheeling.
We tore into it and got it running right and the brakes working, and for a period of time I was driving it to high school. During Christmas break I took the doors off and started prepping for paint. Dad had the major dents and holes welded up by professional body guys and it got a coat of Forrest green paint. It looks amazing. Not amazing like a 36 Packard but more utilitarian, the paint keeps the rust off the steel... since that point 20 years ago a lot has changed in life, but the iron pig has pretty much sat, untouched in dads insulated shop the whole time, waiting for me to come finish it.
About the time I picked her up, I noticed another 72 within 2 miles or so of my house. Took note, but that one was probably better as a parts rig due to rust.
Well as luck would have it, I was recently able to buy that parts rig for 1000 bones and I drug it home behind my tractor and now its mine.

Now comes the work of putting together one concourse style restored immaculate 1972 fj55 out of the 2.

Most recent developments include
Rebuilt the original carburetor.
Tore Down the entire front ends to the inner seals and ran everything through the scrubbers at work in preparation for a complete brake job.

Mixed up the trunion shims just for fun.

Took all 6 original wheels in to be blasted and powder coated flat industrial gray.

my plan is to get my old cruiser to a state where I can safely drive it to work once again. I'll use the best of the original components from both rigs. Then get the cosmetics and interior finished up as time and money allow.

My "parts rig" needs a lot of welding.
Doors literally falling off, but I intend to put it back together into a runner, weld up the body at least so the doors bolt on again and drive it until someone buys it.
Someone will buy it.

Here are a few photos, surely there will be more as things progress.
Hopefully you have a great day.

20221229_194539.jpg

20221217_122827.jpg

16724149270982149648000381619365.jpg

That sounds like a solid plan.
Did you know that there is an additional section of 'Mud just for 55 owners? Scroll down a bit, its just below the 25 section and just above the Stout section.
Helpful folk there.

20221106_125344.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom