1972 Fuel Tank Cover Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I have a 1972 FJ40 that did not come with a fuel tank cover from the factory the best I can tell. I would like to install a cover on mine so I found one. I understand on the door side there are a couple bolts that need to be added. My question is about the two bolts on the back and the two bolts on the front of the cover. The bolt holes in the cover appear to use the holes the fuel tank straps also use. Are the straps used in conjunction with the cover or does the cover retain the fuel tank by itself? I have looked at several build threads on here but I can’t find a picture that definitively answers my question. Thank you in advance for any help or guidance you can give me.

The cover retains the tank. I'm surprised the cover fits on a 72. As I recall the 72 tank is taller and the cover in the front won't reach the the floor, and the fill tube is different.

The cover retains the tank. I'm surprised the cover fits on a 72. As I recall the 72 tank is taller and the cover in the front won't reach the the floor, and the fill tube is different.
Thank you for the answer it’s greatly appreciated. The tank is a replacement tank and the strap ends are probably about an inch off the floor and held in place with what appears to be some kinda of lag bolts for wood. I’m sure those are factory! Thank you again for the help.
Paul

My ‘73 didn’t come with a cover. I guess they made a change mid year of the production run. So probably the same as yours. I bought a used tank and cover combo not knowing it didn’t really fit. The front two strap mounts matched up and I used 1/4” self tapping screws on the back side. Nutserts would have been a more elegant solution, but I don’t have those. I didn’t drill the side sills.

D3121341-4F1C-4893-9EF7-CA2D7779DD3F.jpeg

My ‘73 didn’t come with a cover. I guess they made a change mid year of the production run. So probably the same as yours. I bought a used tank and cover combo not knowing it didn’t really fit. The front two strap mounts matched up and I used 1/4” self tapping screws on the back side. Nutserts would have been a more elegant solution, but I don’t have those. I didn’t drill the side sills.

View attachment 3009831
That’s a really clean looking rig! I’m slowly but surely getting mine in order. I haven’t looked at the back mounting holes to see if the holes line up. If they don’t I’ll put nutserts in. I have a nutsert tool somewhere around here. I’ll probably put nutserts in the rocker too. I replaced the rusted out rockers with some made by site member fourlow&go they are awesome and super beefy. I could probably drill and tap those for my side bolts inside instead of the nutserts. I’m kinda at a toss up whether to cut above the front flange and add the needed metal so the flange will bolt against the floor. Or maybe I’ll make a spacer to take up the space. Anyway it goes the lag bolts are going away. Thanks for the help and the picture. Seeing nice clean work like that is always motivational for me.
Paul

The tank cover was a 74 model change. The cover should fit 73 models. I have a cover for my 73 just never tried it yet. The 73-78 tank is two gallons smaller than earlier tanks. When I tried the cover on my 68 when. I originally bought for the 68 and it wasn't wide enough to even fit. Couldn't even check the height.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom