1972 FJ55 Driver Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very nice- I will address this issue.

On a separate note.. my 55 leaks every time it rains. There’s puddles on the floor mat. It seems like it’s dripping in from under the dash somewhere. Has anyone else had this issue? Could it be from the vent between the windshield and hood?

Mine leaked too, on the sides, then would run down on the floorboards. Brand new windshield and gasket. I found out a couple weeks ago why.
When they replaced the windshield, they didn’t do any cleaning at all on the window frame. When they pumped silicone around the sides to try and seal it, the dirt around the frame prevented the silicone from adhering, making it pretty much useless.

Mine leaked too, on the sides, then would run down on the floorboards. Brand new windshield and gasket. I found out a couple weeks ago why.
When they replaced the windshield, they didn’t do any cleaning at all on the window frame. When they pumped silicone around the sides to try and seal it, the dirt around the frame prevented the silicone from adhering, making it pretty much useless.
I’ve had this more than once, like not even a quick wipe with a dry rag :bang: paid by the job I guess?

I'll investigate those leaky potentials.. thank you. meanwhile, this little piggy is getting a new heart.

5NeeUWYMQ9272HoDfZHngg.jpg

I would love some advice on handling this rust. Im pumped that @bobm is doing a short run- thank you sir. My biggest rust issues are the stock rocker panels, rear fenders, lower rear corners, lower front fenders, right and left upper front fenders. Has anyone simply cut out the stock fender flares and used aftermarket flares? Has anyone cut out those lower panels and replaced with "body armor"? What about cutting out the stock rockers all together and welding tubular steel (with steps) to the frame on each side. A PO covered the rockers with steel plates which are functional and look good, but underneath is cancerous. The lower pics are looking at the underside of the rockers.. nasty.

mhKOnj9%RIWW%yE4Cx%T0g.jpg

MCgoSqaASCWwDYh4OUGc9A.jpg

auQxcOCmTxGXvY9XzQZDMg.jpg

u8zlrEJOR22PkeDSLnii6A.jpg

kEhzZgvkTP2ymz1W7xhosw.jpg

My process is to scrape and clean the underside.

Treat it real good with rust Converter and then fill cavities with Fluid Film then block them off so Mud can’t get back in there.

I use automotive grade expanding foam and other methods.

Cut rockers:

2x4 heavy wall tubing replacement with step/out rigger:

They double as air tanks.

Is the 2x4 tubing welded to the frame to act as a spacer, and then the step/out welded to that?

It looks good! I imagine patch panels for other areas and/or bondo.

Anyone ever wrapped a pig in vinyl?

Any advice on cutting out rear fender flares and installing/attaching aftermarket flares? Mine are toast. See pics above.

It looks like I’ll have to go the route of doing surgery on this cancerous rust.. cutting out what I can.

Considering cutting out bottom portion of rear fenders and fabricating a new rear bumper which would wraparound and extend all the way to the wheel wells.. should be strong but that pig ain’t pretty! Any thoughts or experience with that approach?

So I'd try and save the factory rear flares....they don't look right with those missing. Sand/chisel/scrape all the loose parts away and reshape with bondo/putty/foam....them primer and paint. Might not be perfect, but will be the best look with what you are starting with.

I had to cut behind my rear wheels as well....too far gone. Cut it even with the rear bumper up to the wheel well. My plan is similar, build a bumper that wraps around and protects that area.

So I'd try and save the factory rear flares....they don't look right with those missing. Sand/chisel/scrape all the loose parts away and reshape with bondo/putty/foam....them primer and paint. Might not be perfect, but will be the best look with what you are starting with.

I had to cut behind my rear wheels as well....too far gone. Cut it even with the rear bumper up to the wheel well. My plan is similar, build a bumper that wraps around and protects that area.

Sounds good- we got the 350 dropped in and running. Now, it’s off to the exhaust shop.

D92F8069-6211-4D8C-A9F6-569B8B60B138.jpeg

Updates?

I need to retract much of my earlier commentary. Vortecs ARE cool in many ways, and while full on hi-po crates are pretty spendy, fairly low to reasonably miled used units are definitely in the realm of reality. Done quite a bit of research on these power plants since my earlier biased posts, and see the light now.
Seeing that @EZRyder went ahead and just rebuilt/reinstalled the SBC, makes sense and was a great choice as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom