For Sale 1972 FJ40- What do you think Dad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Mileage
Color
Black
Hey all,

Apologies if this should have gone in the tech forum- I wasn't sure after reading the User Guide.

I'm interested in a 1972 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 posted in my neck of the woods a few days ago. My dad isn't really a car guy, so I'd like to access the collective wisdom of the group.

21.5K miles. Guys says it starts and runs "good." Needs a clutch master cylinder ("current one leaks onto floorboard") and a valve cover gasket (from email with owner).
Rust: "One quarter panel has about a half dollar cancer spot coming through, nothing anywhere else"

If I make the trek to look at it, what should I be watching out for? Any mechanical issues I should be able to diagnose, even without being able to drive it far because of the clutch cylinder?

Is 10-15K somewhere in the right price range for this type of rig in this condition? I'm going to try and see if I can pay a mobile mechanical to meet me and check out the vehicle, but I'd like to go armed with as much info as I can.

I'm not planning on hard core trail machine, more like camping trips and some top down days with my buddies/kids.

Thanks!
DSCN4426.JPG

DSCN4431.JPG

00b0b_93kwHqY4W32z_0jm0ew_600x450.jpg

00606_5ssaq1Okiy3z_0jm0ew_600x450.jpg

01010_lzGogwCkarzz_0jm0ew_600x450.jpg

DSCN4427.JPG

DSCN4429.JPG

DSCN4430.JPG

Overall a pretty nice looking truck there for $10k. Can't tell too much from those photos, but I can see its a repaint so look for bondo. The tranny hump is a different color and appears rusty around the base. The front driver side tire has oil on it, should add new wheel cylinders to your list. Also, I would be careful trusting anyone who told me there was only 21,500 miles on that truck, that is highly unlikely.

Probably some bondo with the repaint. Look underneath in the back carefully. That won't keep you from driving it. Estimate a couple grand in parts to baseline it and undo po mistakes.

Front seat upholstery is cool.

If you're in Denver, reach out to the rising sun 4x4 club. Someone with fj40 experience will be happy to look at it with you. I'm a past member, they're a great group.

Take a look at the buyers guide

Hey all,

Apologies if this should have gone in the tech forum- I wasn't sure after reading the User Guide.

I'm interested in a 1972 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 posted in my neck of the woods a few days ago. My dad isn't really a car guy, so I'd like to access the collective wisdom of the group.

21.5K miles. Guys says it starts and runs "good." Needs a clutch master cylinder ("current one leaks onto floorboard") and a valve cover gasket (from email with owner).
Rust: "One quarter panel has about a half dollar cancer spot coming through, nothing anywhere else"

If I make the trek to look at it, what should I be watching out for? Any mechanical issues I should be able to diagnose, even without being able to drive it far because of the clutch cylinder?

Is 10-15K somewhere in the right price range for this type of rig in this condition? I'm going to try and see if I can pay a mobile mechanical to meet me and check out the vehicle, but I'd like to go armed with as much info as I can.

I'm not planning on hard core trail machine, more like camping trips and some top down days with my buddies/kids.

Thanks!

Looked at this truck last night. Here are a few more pictures. Not sure I'm interested.
- Hood not original
- Owner knew very little about the vehicle or its history
- Front end body panel alignment issues and signs of Bondo work
- Oil spitting out of exhaust.. (Thoughts on this one????) Possible head gasket???

KIMG0241.JPG
KIMG0236.JPG
KIMG0238.JPG

Screenshot_20220120-105929.png

I'm researching buying my first one, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but:

TBH, the underside doesn't look that bad, imo.

The black goo spitting from the exhaust is pretty normal on start up. May just be rich mixture or even a little bit of worn valve seals. All my carbureted cars do this.

A bad head gasket would be white smoke and smell like antifreeze.

A skim coat of bondo is normal at a bunch of repainting shops; did you try a kitchen magnet against the suspect areas?

I'm not super familiar with FJ40s, but I think panel misalignment is pretty common and correctable. I know on an FJ55, panel misalignment came standard. ;)

Looked at this truck last night. Here are a few more pictures. Not sure I'm interested.
- Hood not original
- Owner knew very little about the vehicle or its history
- Front end body panel alignment issues and signs of Bondo work
- Oil spitting out of exhaust.. (Thoughts on this one????) Possible head gasket???

View attachment 2900124View attachment 2900125View attachment 2900126

View attachment 2900123

Grab a fork. That sucker is done. Honestly it all depends on the price. I often buy these and the seller didn’t know what he was getting into and knows even less about the vehicle. If it’s over 7500 I would walk away.

Grab a fork. That sucker is done. Honestly it all depends on the price. I often buy these and the seller didn’t know what he was getting into and knows even less about the vehicle. If it’s over 7500 I would walk away.
I agree.. thanks for the input. Seller is pretty firm at $12,500.
Also forgot to mention; pulled a spark plug and it was quite fouled for looking like a newer plug. Between that and the oil from the exhaust (was both oil and wet carbon).....

I think I'm out on this one.

You know, I was guessing at $7500 and am glad to think I'm at least in the neighborhood, price-wise.

First, huge thanks to everyone for the perspective and notes. I think it's pretty neat that so many people would comment and help out a newbie.

For anyone else that is new, this is indeed a great guide: Buyer's Guide - http://www.old.myfj40.com/LCN/Buyers_Guide.html - Thanks @overton.

The vehicle is about a two hour drive away, so based on the condition and expected price, I'll think I'll wait for now.

I looked at the Rising Sun Club- looks great.

Thank again everyone, and I'll be on the lookout!

If your truly looking for a 40 post "wanted" in the classifieds. There are several good reliable mudders who may have knowledge of one or selling one of their own. This is great way to possibly find one and saves the seller the hassle of posting and dealing with us cheap bastards on mud!

My experience through the years is the good ones never make it to the classifieds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom