1972 FJ40 split bench seat won't fold forward? Center arm rest section.....Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a split front bench seat believed to be out of a '72. I want the split center section to fold forward so dogs can get to the back a little easier, so planning on putting this in our '68. But the middle section won't fold forward>....there are gas lines coming from tank that snake behind the passenger seat and go up the back of the center "arm rest" section. Is this how all split benches are??? Seems crazy that there is what appears to be a center section that "could" fold forward, but won't. Any help appreciated!!!!

Could have sworn I've seen pictures with the center section folded forward. Are there other years that the center section actually moves/folds forward?

Mine looked like it would fold down if I removed one bolt that was holding it in place...It appeared to be hinged like my driver and passenger side which fold down. Never tried it tho as i decided to remove the entire middle section instead for the same reason you want. I say remove it. You might need to add a ventilation hose or a charcoal canister if your gas tanks begins to build up too much preasure. You might get lucky and not have to.

IMG_20190929_175249.jpg

img_20190929_175249-jpg.2136688

Last edited:
It does not fold ... inside the rear cover is fuel separator ... before it was moved to behind the inlet

/this\

and the fuel separator is a very valuable piece of equipment against fuel smell in the cab, so I would not remove it

Last edited:
did I mention, I still have this split bench in my cruiser - I even have a lap seat belt for the middle section, not that anyone but a 4-year old would really be able to fit there

Thanks everyone, this all makes sense to me now. I know what you are saying about the gas smell....but since this is going in my '68, there isn't those vent lines on my gas tank. In my '68, there is one vent line, but it goes back up to the fill neck.....so i guess I could remove the fuel vapor lines and fold it forward, or do what Desert did and remove the whole middle section. Can't wait to see what is lurking behind that middle section cover....really anxious to see what kind of plumbing there is back there to keep the fume from coming into the cabin...... Thanks again!!!! This forum is amazing.

I never got any fuel smell by removing the center fuel separator. I've been running it like this for about 4 months with zero smell in the cabin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom