1972 FJ40 Rear Seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a '72 FJ40 without rear seats. Can someone confirm if the side jumps seats or rear bench seat was correct for this year?

Side inboard facing seats, no roll bar.
Thank you for the response. While a four point roll bar is not correct, will it interfere with installation of the side inboard facing seats?

1972 landcruiser_interior-17-scaled.jpeg

Thank you for the response. While a four point roll bar is not correct, will it interfere with installation of the side inboard facing seats?

View attachment 2675112

No simple yes or no answer to this. Most likely some mods will be needed. I installed a Smittybuilt roll bar in my 68. Bought a kit to move the jump seat inward. This was in 1974. After that that kit was redesigned so the front moved in even further which moved the back in and rear arm back over the wheel well. Looking for jump seats 72-73 are correct with the bottom angled back at the front. 70 and 71 only have a single bolt at each mounting point. Earlier used two bolts. 9/73 and later used short jump seats in the US market This was because of the roll bar required in the US.

The original seats were wide, and fastened directly to the "box frame" on the tub that the hardtop bolts to. As pointed out by Living, above, when Toyota added the roll bar, they narrowed the seat to fit within the roll bar framing.

The bottom of the original wide seats have rubber feet that land on the wheel well, that support the seat in the open position. If you move the wide seat inward to allow for the roll bar, it's likely the feet may no longer contact the wheel well.

Here is a picture with the wide seat in a '73 FJ40. You can see where the vertical tubing near the driver's seat is held tight against the aforementioned "box frame".

Like Living said, there is no easy yes or no answer. Obviously, anything CAN be done, just at what effort?
1 rear seat.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom